Thursday 27th July, 2006 - Weighin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! Glad you found us and congrats on your weight loss! WTG!!!!!

welcome Hubba and hell no! we dont mind at all and are glad you have joiined us!! (though Colby will have to share his harem now :) ).

wow - you have already done a huge job in winding back the clock!

you and i sound very similar... i too hvae done a whole new health change that has been the main reason for my loss. plus, medically wise we have both taken huge steps forward! about 3.5months ago my blood tests had the word "diabeties" on it and my latest blood test no longer shows this so thats a HUGE relief.

how great you must be feeling no longer having to have that required medication!!!

so see you on thursday, dont make us hunt you down and onwards and DOWNWARDS to next week everyone!!

almitywife:
about 3.5months ago my blood tests had the word "diabeties" on it and my latest blood test no longer shows this so thats a HUGE relief.
Wow! That's one of the reasons I made this lifestyle change also! I wasn't diagonsed, but my body was telling me I was a candidate!

Isn't that funny. That's the same reason I started my change about 1 1/2 years ago (though I admit that it's only been the past 6 weeks where I'm been consistent with my eating). But my health warning was borderline high blood pressure. My doctor wanted to put me on meds, but I said, "No. I'll lose the weight." I have always had really good blood pressure even though both my parents suffer from high BP, and I was damned if I was going to let this get to me. So I dropped 20lbs. and my pressure was back to normal. But I am one of those classic yo yo dieters and it has taken me about a year to loose another 15. So since around Nov. 2004 I've lost 35 lbs.
Well, I did my Sunday weigh in and I'm happy to report that that mysterious weight gain that happened during the week is gone, except for 1/2 lb. But that's within normal fluid retention range so I'm happy.
I can say that since 6/18, I've been losing 1 lb a week, which is good I guess. But I used to be able to lose 2 lbs a week. But I'm older now and my metabolism has slowed, and that change of life has taken place.:D

well the better health, heart rate, blood pressure and feeling and looking better is the BIGGEST BONUS but my hubby has developed a side affect to my better health regieme (hate the word diet as for me its a new lifestyle for the rest of my life)

hubby says "no" ALOT these days

yesterday movies... im thinking icecream or popcorn or a nice lunch out... hubby says NO and gets me one of those salad packs to eat at the movies and for him it was sushi (i cant eat rice anymore)

on the way home from my nephews birthday party on the weekend, i thinking lets just get a drivethru chicken for dinner.. hubby says NO and we go home for a heathier home cooked meal instead

he even said "all those times i didnt say no and look where it got us" and i SWEAR i heard the words decadance and indulgance in there somewhere!

so he seems to be enjoying his new found back bone :D he a very cheeky man these days so i now telling him i deserve a new drysuit for next winter and so far he hasnt said no!

cheers,

Thanks almitywife,

I won't be hard to find on Thursdays, now is that Thursday Oz time or US time? I have been weighing on Friday mornings China time (couple hours later than Oz and 12 hours ahead of US EST) but don't mind changing.

I didn't go to the docs:doctor: when I started and wish I had to have a baseline, but I did finally go about 10 days ago and got the lab results last week. Almost everything was good (incluing insulin levels which had me worried, pretty sure if I had the lab work done 3 months ago it would have been a different story). My LDL was good but the HDL was low and a couple of other items were outside of acceptable range so the doc has me taking B12 shots and taking a multi vitamin supplement (which writing this makes me remember I didn't take it before I left for work today). But no more blood pressure meds :D :lol2: :dance: :jump: :multi: :luxhello: :rock_band :bounce: :dazzler1:

Besides changing what I eat, I've also tried to change how I eat. I had a bad habit of not eating breakfast, eating some lunch and then eating a big, unhealthy dinner. Now I try to eat breakfast, normally a bowl of museli and fruit (or maybe a couple of scrambled eggs and a piece of wheat toast), keep something to snack on in my desk so I can keep my blood sugar constant during the day, have a light lunch and then for dinner I try to eat a lot of raw greens and some protein (chicken or fish). I don't get to do this every day, but its what I try to do and accomplish it most days.

Cheers,
Drew

the no meds is just fantatsic!

when i started my health change i too had to learn to eat brekkie! most days i can only stomach a apple but if i feel i have been good i have grilled rye bread with mushrooms and some mozerlla cheese!

since ive started loosing weight ive been starting a new weighin thread Thursday Aussie time - basically because im so EXCITED about our progress that i cant wait till US time!

im was thinking that EACH WEEK one of us should post a fav healthy receipe! what do you guys think?? who wants to go first?

I had written a reply then lost it, that's cyberlife.

Thursday's fine with me, hoping to drop at least part of the 4 lbs (1.8kg) I gained when I went off the blood pressure meds (one was a diuretic) last week. I plan to spend most nights this week on a treadmill (in the category of very serendipitous events, a health club opened in my apt building last month and I joined last week) which should work off the fluid that I'm not losing without the diuretic.

I'll venture to put a recipe up first, as I mentioned previously I've been eating a lot of raw green vegetables and I'll share the dressing I use. Its not actually "a" dressing, but a combination of ingredients I use to varying degrees each time.

I live next to a market (its China so if I wanted fresh chicken, throat slit while I watch, I could get that, but I go to the supermarket for my chicken) and every couple of days I pick up whatever veggies look fresh and tasty. This is usually cabbage, tomatoes, celery, broccoli, bell peppers, carrots, cilantro, spring onions, and anything else that looks tasty.

Some times I'll add a little grilled chicken or fish or canned tuna or even salmon sashimi to this, but what I want to share is the dressing. When I started to change my eating habits I wanted a dressing that was virtually zero in calories and fats, since often any benefit gained is lost in the dressing, and "fat free" dressing often have no taste and lots of sodium.

I keep a couple of different vinegars (one is balsamic, the other is white wine vinegar) and a couple of different mustards (right now its dijon and French's American style). Depending on what I'm in the mood for, I'll mix a vinegar (sometimes 2) with mustard, garlic and black pepper plus anything else in the spice rack that I fancy. Sometimes I'll chop up an oninon as well. This is never done in the same amount and always comes out a little different, but its always tasty. I'll even add Worchestershire sauce or a bit of soy sauce if the mood strikes me. And if I want to take a bit of the edge off the vinegar and make it a tiny bit sweet I'll put in a bit of honey or maple syrup.

The other night I was going to add salmon sashimi to the veggies so I substituted wasabi for the mustard and it turned out quite tasty.

I'm not even sure if this qualifies as a recipe, but its something that has really helped with my weight loss.

Cheers,
Drew

Wow, you disappear for a few days and tons of stuff happened!

Welcome aboard Drew, this is a great group that has slowly been growing over the last couple of months. We've had some excellent success stories, some of which you have heard. I've dropped about 40 pounds since I started in January, and now sitting at 218, I am lighter than I have been since I was 20!

And it really is a lifestyle change. Like Almity, I never used to eat breakfast, now I eat a big breakfast everyday to jump start my day. I'm doing some fairly intensive physical activity thanks to my drill sargeant personal trainer, he had me doing one-armed chin ups today, and my metabolism has really kicked in. Several smaller meals, nothing late at night, and the ability to splurge now and then does wonders (the 10 ounce prime rib Saturday with the baked potatoe was mmmmmmmmmm). It's all mind over matter, watch the clothes because the scale can fool you as fat is replaced by muscle.

I have also been told that I need to go shopping as my clothes don't show off some attributes now that someone wants to see... It's all worth it :D

Back
Top Bottom