Time to convert - BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer:
Two great answers, Thanks ShakaZulu and PerroneFord.
Make that three, Thanks teknitroxdiver

After looking at both Zeagle and Halcyon, I think I would like to build myself.
The "Systems" seem to be a more backpack style converted Vests than True minimalist setups. Shoulder pads and all.

I am getting some good ideas here and PerroneFord, thanks for the book idea. I found it on the GUE web site.

Being that I travel more often than not and I use very little weight now anyway, I am leaning to either the plastic (Metal reinforced) Dive Rite back plate or an aluminum backplate (I will have it powder coated) and a Hogarthian harness.

A couple of comments here.

1. In regards to the Halcyon being a "converted backpack" nothing could be further from the truth. The DIR setup is as stripped a Hog setup as you'll likely find. Minimalist to the nth degree. The ONLY concession is the backplate pad which ships with the unit but is not installed. Do not shy away from this brand because you think it's cluttered. Trust me, it's not. I will not say the same for some systems from other manufacturers, but all of the tech manufacturers sell a basic hog rig if that's what you want (and you probably do).

2. Save yourself a lot of trouble. Buy the SS system from someone and snag an alum plate off ebay. If you move to aluminum doubles, you'll be thankful for the heavier plate, and if you dive steel tanks, the aluminum plate will be terrific. If you buy the plate, thread it and add the d-rings, and just leave it. You'll be able to switch wings and tanks in 3 minutes. The reason I suggest buying the SS plate as part of the package is that they charge the same for both systems, but the SS plate is usually another $50-$75 to buy seperately. I've seen used Aluminum plate on ebay for $35.

Hog harness? Good idea.

Daylonious:
Extremely satisfied with fit and finish (although it takes literally HOURS to get a BP/W adjusted perfectly - but again, that's a one time thing)

Some people view the "lotsa clips" thing as a drawback. 5 is all ya need! :05:

I'm following this thread with interest, as I'm in the market for either a BCD or BP/W. Haven't made my mind up, but doing as much reading as I can.

The one thing I don't understand in this discussion - maybe I haven't done enough reading yet - is the second point: 2-Are rental DIN tanks readily available if I go that route? What difference does the regulator valve type have to do with the BP/W? I must be missing something???

LavaSurfer:
Being that I travel more often than not and I use very little weight now anyway, I am leaning to either the plastic (Metal reinforced) Dive Rite back plate or an aluminum backplate (I will have it powder coated) and a Hogarthian harness.

Actually if you are going to go through all that trouble, might as well have it anodized.....that would look even cooler.

Here is a little tease: http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html

Fouremco:
I'm following this thread with interest, as I'm in the market for either a BCD or BP/W. Haven't made my mind up, but doing as much reading as I can.

The one thing I don't understand in this discussion - maybe I haven't done enough reading yet - is the second point: 2-Are rental DIN tanks readily available if I go that route? What difference does the regulator valve type have to do with the BP/W? I must be missing something???

No relation at all, we use DIN because it's more safe than a Yoke connection, minimises o-ring blowout. You can always use a Din-to-Yoke adaptor when you do boat dives in the US..........

The real advantage of the BP is when you dive, you will have near perfect horizontal trim on your first try.

Fouremco:
Are rental DIN tanks readily available if I go that route?[/I] What difference does the regulator valve type have to do with the BP/W? I must be missing something???
DIN fittings still have an exotic cachet to them and can be problematical to find away from tech or cave areas. They're catching on, but since the vast majority of rental tanks out there are the standard aluminum 80, you get vast armies of yoke valve-equipped tanks.
I dive with yoke-equipped tanks for a while with my backplate - I just left the inserts in my Dive Rite manifold on the aluminum 80s I'm getting ready to excess. My own preference now is for DIN since I have it on all my deco and main battle bottles.
For travel, I have a few yoke-equipped first stages that I just swap out all my second stage stuff. I tried the DIN-to-yoke adapters, but on one of them, there was a clearance problem on some tanks I used on Grand Turk so I had to jury-rig something.
Don't get all worked up about the equipment - it all works. Just refine your own needs, wants and desires and get what you need. Buying it once sure is a lot cheaper than going a few regs or bc's to figure out what you like.

Fouremco:

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. It is a separate topic.
When I move to doubles I was thinking about isolation manifold and what I might do there.
Having all yoke regs now, thats where I will start.
Also, I won't be traveling with bottles so it sounds like yoke wins for now.

PerroneFord:
A couple of comments here.

1. In regards to the Halcyon being a "converted backpack" nothing could be further from the truth.

I concede, I don't know what I was thinking.
I went back and looked and you are right.

Maybe looking at all these bare plates and Hog Harnesses I got through off with it having the wing on it. :05:

I still think DIY sounds fun and I can get what I want.
I just need to be clear on what that is so I only do it once. :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom