Time to convert - BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer:
I still think DIY sounds fun and I can get what I want.
I just need to be clear on what that is so I only do it once. :11:

Look,

I don't know why people make this out to be such a huge deal. A BP/W is just three pieces.

1. A plate
2. Some webbing and rings
3. A bladder.

DIY is pretty easy, but there is no big mystery to it. You need weight, get the steel plate. Don't need it, get the alum. Webbing, get 2" in whatever color you like. Bladder just count up how much lift you want and get a wing.

When you start throwing twin 95s or 104s around, then start worrying about all this other esoteric stuff. The BP/W is simplicity in itself. Damn hard to go too far wrong.

Single tank wing, 27-30 if you dive wet or warm water, 36 otherwise
Double tank wing, 40 if you dive wet or AL80s, 55-60 otherwise.

That'll put you solidly in the game. More experience guys feel free to chime in. This is what I've seen from my rather limited experieince.

PerroneFord:
Single tank wing, 27-30 if you dive wet or warm water, 36 otherwise
Double tank wing, 40 if you dive wet or AL80s, 55-60 otherwise.

ty , that was the help I was looking for

but it is a huge deal when your changing over to something you know nothing about and it takes money wich is in short supply. Thats why we come here. To get good advice and opinons.

Scooter,

Are you looking for a rig that can be used in a lot of different circumstances... sort of a one rig for all... or are you interested in dialing in a rig that is especially sweet for one particular type of diving? Do you dive different environments frequently or is most of your diving under similar conditions?

Where does a budget fit within your priorities? What is more important...the gear or the price tag?

Are you the kinda guy that likes to tinker and tweak with gear or would you prefer not to have to mess with stuff?

Do you get a kick out of putting together something special or unique?

From some of your previous posts it seems you mostly dive the western Caribbean...Coz, Roatan, etc... and that you use something like a polartec skin and 4 to 6 pounds of weight. Is that right?

LavaSurfer:
After looking at both Zeagle and Halcyon, I think I would like to build myself. The "Systems" seem to be a more backpack style converted Vests than True minimalist setups. Shoulder pads and all.

Take a look at the Deep Sea Supply setup. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and I love it.

ScubaTwo:
If Im diving dry with an single al 80 and use 26 pounds of lead any recommondations on wing? Im looking at the halcyon pioneer. I am still a new diver and expect my weight requirements to go down a bit as I learn better buoyancy.
When I switched over to a BPW I dropped 10 lbs of weight. I currently use a 40 lb lift Oxycheq that works very nicely for me.

I would recommend that when you get your BPW, before you dive it, do a weight check. Get all suited up as if you were to do a normal dive. Take a tank with 300 - 500 psi and go into 10' of water. With no air in your BPW see if you can rise when you have nearly full lungs and sink when you exhale. Make sure you leave your airway open when you fill your lungs. Holding your breath is ill advised. If you can do this, then you are properly weighted.

Small Hiijack,

OE2X, have you seen any doubles wings in the ~40# capacity other than the Oxy? I am using a borrowed Oxy 40 now, and need to get something appropriate for my AL80 Doubles. Thanks.

Not sure if Tobin has anything. You might want to check him out. Gratefuldiver loves his wings and Bob has dove pretty much everything sold.

PerroneFord:
Small Hiijack,

OE2X, have you seen any doubles wings in the ~40# capacity other than the Oxy? I am using a borrowed Oxy 40 now, and need to get something appropriate for my AL80 Doubles. Thanks.

Halcyon 40# Explorer, 40# Evolve
Agir 38# Double

The Halcyon products are on the short list. The Oxy Razor was too until I realized it was only a single bladder unit and not a bag in a bag. I looked at the Agirs a couple weeks ago but didin't realize they had a 38# double. I'll look at that more.

Thanks.

PerroneFord:
Look,

I don't know why people make this out to be such a huge deal. A BP/W is just three pieces.

I agree that a BP&W is in the end pretty simple, however if you have never seen one, or more importantly never seen one broken down into it's component parts, it can seem more complex than it is.

Regarding required lift

For single tank:

A BC or "buoyancy compensator" really only has to compensate for the change in buoyancy of your exposure suit.

Assuming you are properly weighted, i.e. eye level at the surface with no gas in the BC, the only thing that loses buoyancy is your suit.

For a wetsuit, roll it up and throw it in the water, add lead 'till it just sinks. That's the minimum lift you need.

For a Drysuit, put the diver in the water in just his undies and DS with min gas in the suit. Add lead 'till he is neutral, here again is the min lift required.

Wing size is more about exposure suit than tank type.

If you are using any substantial amount of neoprene, i.e. 5 mil, 7 mil, I don't worry about the weight of the gas I'm going to breath, because at your shallow stop, 15 ft or even 10 ft, the wetsuit will compress enough to offset the ~5-6 lbs of gas.

In a 3 mil, shorty, dive skin etc, you need to be overweighted at the start by the weight of the gas, or you will struggle to hold the shallow stop.

For doubles the tests are basically the same, but the weight of the gas can be more significant, and it's more likely that you may need some gas in the wing at the surface at the start of the dive. If this is the case try to lighten the rig, a lighter backplate is a good place to start.

If you need gas in the wing to stay eyelevel at the surface, this needs to be added to the value associated with the change in suit buoyancy.

Regards,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom