Tired after Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

enderjs

Registered
Reaction score
Sup guys,

I don't know why but after every two tank boat trip I did in Key Largo. I would get back to the hotel and crash out and take a 2 hour nap. Anyone else feel tired after diving?

If you don't is there anything in particular that you can do to not feel so tired?

btw I am in awesome shape, I lift weights everyday, can run a mile in 5:30 minutes. So I don't think it has anything to do with my fitness.

What do you guys think?

Some will tell you that is a sign of a mild DCS hit. Some will tell you to ascend slower. Some will tell you to try nitrox. Some may even tell you your supposed to be tired after diving....

I think you must be a whiner

I am ALWAYS tired after two or more dives a day... I get home and I crash for at least an hour or so.

I thought it was just a nice side effect from diving...

And some will call you a whiner :)

There is always heat loss in the water to think of too. Hypothermia makes you tired. Try a hood or beanie and see if you are less tired.

Enderjs,

It may be the salt air and the motion of the boat. Keeping up with the rocking is a small but constant set of muscle movements. Don't forget two hours of swimming! After a morning on a boat, I always need a nap, whether I've been diving or not. This is a vacation after all!!

I might as well start the Nitrox thing. I feel better after Nitrox dives, and I use way less air. MANY people will disagree. Try it and see if it works for you.

One school of thought says you might be experiencing subclinical DCS. Check your profiles, watch you ascent rates and don't be afraid of safety stops, even on shallow reef dives. On those, I usually do rolling safety stops ie make the last 5 minutes of the swim back to the boat at around 15 ft.

Largo is way cool, so keep diving it.

Eat your wheaties bub. Just joking, when I go on a dive trip try to dive 4-5 times a day and find no need for ambien.

Wildcard is probably spot on. Significant fatigue that you cannot attribute to "working extremely hard" or any other factor is often an indication of subclinical DCS. I would be interested to know what your two dive profiles looked like and how long you SIT time was between dives. Remember, there are many things that can influence DCS. To name a few: being cold, dehydrated, working hard at depth, bounce diving during your profile, not controlling ascent rate, not making a safety stop, and pushing no decompression limits.

Try this, next time you do a similar dive, ensure you are well hydrated before the dive. During the dive keep your ascent rate well within 30 feet per minute. Get a nice long five minute safety hang at 20-15 feet. Then make your trip to the surface from there nice and slow. I bet you don't experience the same symptoms.

How deep where you diving? How long, water temp? How fast did you ascend?

I find that the harsher the conditions the more it physically takes out of me. Also, I have recently started doing a deep stop at for 2 min at 50% of my max depth and then slowly ascending from there. Time and exact stop depths depend on remaining air, but typically for a 100 ft dive; 2 min at 50 fsw, 1 min at 40 fsw, 1 min at 30 fsw, 3 min at 15-20 fsw, with a s l o w acsent to the surface from there about 2 min. Then I float on the surface and let everyone else get on the boat. I used to just ascend to 15 fsw and do a 3 min safety stop, after the 2nd dive I would eat then crash for 3-4 hours.
Just my experiance.

Dive safe,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom