What gear have you forgotten ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tend to bring extra of everything to dives, especially when I have to travel a distance to the site, but I have been guilty of showing up without my: dive boots, dry gloves, hood, weights, bottom timer, tanks or tanks with valves which don't match the reg I brought (fixed that by switching all to DIN), the proper regulator configuration for the intended dive, undergarments, and lots of other stuff.

That said I have not missed a dive yet due to forgetting gear.

I don't think there's a piece of gear I own that I haven't forgotten at some point or another. That's one reason I keep spares in my vehicle. But the times I forgot my drysuit and my complete doubles setup were probably the worst, because I don't keep spares of those handy.

Just yesterday I had a friend deliver my AL40 dive buddy back to me ... I forgot to take it off the boat on Sunday, and the boat was 190 miles from home ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've forgotten the memory card or battery for my camera a few times. Most annoying thing thus far was forgetting my weight pouches for my BC. Luckily, my buddies had a spare weight build, but it made the dive very uncomfy, since it totally through off my weight distribution and they kept digging into my hips.

We use check lists, but usually we just check the closet & rack, and if it's empty, we got everything.

Dry suit hose. Learned a new skill that day- buddy inflating (2 suits, 1 hose). Not too bad, provided you didn't vent and then descend a bit without your buddy being within 'hose-length'.....:lotsalove:

Just happened at Dutch. I forgot my regs (for doubles). I had to frankenstein a set from three different people. Of course, my friends are still laughing every time they see me.

Forgot my hood and gloves a few weeks ago. I thought about doing the dive without them, but 52F ish water took that thought out of my mind. Luckily, I only live 10 minutes from the dive site so I sped home and got them. I also forget my towel more often than I bring it which can be a problem when its cold out.

I forgot my regs (for doubles). I had to frankenstein a set from three different people.

Reminds me of a not quite on point story, when I was working for an LDS over the summer I picked up so many old and spare parts that I built a new regulatory with it. Tested it in the shop - ok. Proudly went out on the dive boat, turned the gas on - BANG - regulator parts all over the boat. Oh well, better there than underwater.

Hijack over.

I forgot my dry suit undergarments once. There was a ferry between the dive site and home, so going back to get them was not an option. I managed to borrow a couple spare shirts and did two dives anyway. I was a bit chilly(46F), but I made up for it by "exercising" my arms and legs to stay warmer.

I forget my computer on local dives all the time, but I don't mind, maximum depth at the spring around here is about 20 ft. I forgot my wing once, but it turned out perfect as I was diving with a double hose anyway, so I just went a little more vintage.

Flew across country to California to dive and brought the wrong boots for my dry suit. Tried diving without them but my fins fell off.. not fun. But I did manage to rent a wetsuit and all was fine.

Just recently I left on a morning boat trip without my wetsuit. Left it hanging up, not in the mesh bag.
It worked out fine .. I usually don't need one above 78 or so and ended up not using one the rest of the week.

When we went to Grand Cayman, my wife forgot her cert card. We managed to get someone to find it at home in Massachusetts and fax it to the dive shop. As it turns out I figured out after we got back from the trip that the shop could have checked the NAUI website to confirm her certification.

Back
Top Bottom