What have you learned in the last year, regardless of how long you have been diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned that fitness matters.

I lost over a hundred lbs last year, and while I feel much better, I still have some room for improvement. I'm down to 250 from over 360, and I want to get to 200.

When you reach your goal you need to change your name to netslim! Keep up the good work!

I learnt that my breathing rate have decreased and the amount of weights that i used also has decreased.

I used to take 4kg(abt 8lbs) of weights down, now i can descent without weights in lycra and boardshorts. With wetsuit i need 2kg.

I can be struggling on the surface for 10mins with the currents and still make my air last for 45 mins or so and coming up with about 100bars(starting with 200). Thats so cool. That was the same for my buddy, our fellow divers ask us if we were blowing air back into the tank instead of taking them in...LOL

Also, i learnt that we dont want to be close to rocks in strong surface currents...learnt it the hard way. But didnt get hurt

No matter how hot the temperature is on the surface, the thermocline will be there to make me regret the choice of thermal protection that i made. Surface:30 degrees Celcius, Bottom: 26 degrees(in thermocline). Don't flame me for this...what can i do if i'm living in the tropics:D

I learned that if your cat wants out at 4:30am on October 16th and that if you turn on your computer and check out Skybus, that you can get $10 flights to and from Col's, Ohio and Fort Lauderdale during the months of March, April and May. At least that's what worked for me.

Well, our cavern tours in March taught me I didn't know the limits of my "underwater body" very well. I've been working on that by swimming under and through everything I can find where I fit :)

Andrew Georgitsis taught me that I hadn't conquered my midwater disorientation problem nearly as well as I thought I had. Lesson there may be that a weak spot is a weak spot, and you had better not stop paying attention to it. I'm working on that by trying to spend some time each dive with my eyes closed, deliberately going into "unusual attitudes" and recovering without opening them.

My Rec Triox class taught me that I still don't think terribly well underwater, and it doesn't take a huge amount of stress before my buoyancy control starts to get shaky. I'm working on that -- by practicing failures, and by doing things like carrying a deco bottle last night.

I learned how to replace my own wrist seals -- yay!

Between Rec Triox and AG's Ratio Deco class, I learned some more about decompression theory, and it was fascinating.

And . . . This is the hardest one to quantify or describe. Diving with KMD has repeatedly taught me lessons about self-discipline and focus. They don't necessarily stick very well, but I do remember them. If I dove with people like him all the time, I'd be a better diver.

My trip to Los Angeles, and my dives with visiting divers here, taught me that you shouldn't ever discount the appeal of a dive just because you're jaded with it. A diver new to a place may find the starfish fascinating :)

And, over and over again, I was reminded that at least half of the fun of this sport is the wonderful people you get to do it with.

Learned about diving???? Umm...EVERYTHING! All I know (and don't know) I learned this year, so it's all new to me. Being new does have it's up side. There are no "same old dive"s. Every time I get in the water there is somthing new and amazing!

So how long have you been diving and what have you learned or improved upon in the last year?

Learned to dive in 1993.
This year a few of the things I learned include:
  • Using empty soda bottles for navigation markers has it's own challenges when string is involved (also learned I can hear my DM curse underwater and actually UNDERSTAND what he's saying)
  • You're not supposed to stay in the water when alligators are in the springs which means you're REALLY probably not supposed to go over and pose with it for a picture :eyebrow: (and it debunked the myth I'd heard that alligators don't go into the clear water of the springs)
  • One of my favorite dive buddys, also an instructor, is not the right instructor for teaching me even though he's a good instructor and we help out with each other's OW check-outs. (Taking a Nitrox class should not involve the desire to beat your--or your instructor's--head against a wall)
  • HOKEY MOLEY am I ever narced on a regular basis in shallow water! Dove 36% for the first time and was hit with the realization that yes, quarry diving is indeed boring. Narcosis evidently numbs the boredom :eyebrow:
  • I'm working on learning to dive with doubles (that should keep me busy for a couple years).
  • Students should be given guidance but bear the brunt of the dive planning and execution during their OW check-outs. We as the staff members should already know how to dive and should not interfere with the student's demonstration to themselves that they too know how to dive.
Ber :lilbunny:

I've learned that having a dive buddy that thinks like you, has the same underwater interests as you, and is very calm in all situations is the BEST thing to have!

Back
Top Bottom