What have you learned in the last year, regardless of how long you have been diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"When the gates are all down and the signals are flashing the whistle is screaming in vain; and you stay on the tracks ignoring the facts well you can't blame the wreck on the train." Don McLean

I read your tag line and it reminded me of a local story here in the Greenville, SC area where an officer made a lady who pulled her car on the tracks get out just before a train hit it at 70 miles per hour.
FoxCarolina - Home the uncut video from the cops car can be seen here.

I guess if you applied that to scuba is that if you break the big rules there are big prices to pay and like trains, the water is not forgiving of your mistakes. And sometimes we really really need a buddy to pull us out of danger!

I learned that doubles are not as much work as I thought they'd be.

And that buoyancy and trim are an ever-evolving skill.

When you reach your goal you need to change your name to netslim! Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Just in case anyone is interested, here I was at 360+:

1600445192_aa8322de60.jpg

Here I am now, with still ~40lbs. or so to go:

1600486808_0a1ad4f40f.jpg

So there are all these catch phrases out there, a good diving is a thinking diver, a good diver is a learning diver, a good diver never stops improving, yada yada yada. And that got me thinking and wondering what others both new to diving as well as the old crusty salts might be learning.

So how long have you been diving and what have you learned or improved upon in the last year?

22+ years here (last year happened to be an equipment buying year for both my wife & me, BC,wet suit, fins, mask, some things were just wearing out & computer was needed) & I found out buying 'stuff' on line is a lot cheaper than locally......

I replaced my drysuit zipper myself.

Learned a lot from that....

....and it went well, thankfully! :wink:

Dave C

I have to go there now.

I was recently told that they removed a 12 foot, a 10 foot and two smaller alligators from the spring. Evidently they were starting to stalk swimmers.
Ber :lilbunny:

I've learned everything I know about diving in the last year since I haven't been certified a year yet. I learned that practice is the key to improving, that there's always more to learn,that having dive buddys who are better then you is a great way to learn, and that diving is something I never want to stop doing.

I've learned:
That diving with my lovely bride makes both her and I very happy!
That the diving in and around Kona Hawaii is magnificent.
That diving around Catalina Island is world class.
That small boat diving is significantly better than larger boat diving.
That a custom made wetsuit makes a world of difference.
Video makes for wonderfull memories.
I’m not as young as I used to be.
Grandkids are priceless.

I learned three things this year about liveaboards:

1. They are way cool.
2. One needs to control oneself when they knock on your cabin door in the morning to wake you up due to the proximity of the bunk directly over your head. It sounded something like this: Knock, knock. Thump. Ouch, dammit!
3. Did I mention? Liveaboards are way cool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom