What is the most efficient way to Log and Track your dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You really should consider keeping a log book independent of any computers or other equipment you get. Many computers have perfectly adequate logging software. But they are all dependent on specific brands and models of computers. You might buy a "Brand A" computer today. And in 3 or 4 years, when you switch to a "Brand B" computer, your current software won't work any more. And you'll need the old software for the older dives and the new software for your current info. Then, you don't know how committed the manufacturer is to keeping the software up to date. It might work with Windows 7/8 to day, but will it still work under Windows 12?

If you do rely on computer data for your log book, I highly recommend that you print hard-copy of all your dives and stick it away in a folder or notebook.

I am not aware of anyone producing software that supports multiple brands of equipment. Each computer has different interface requirements. Some are USB, some infrared, some Blue Tooth, some WiFi, etc. And, the data formats coming out of the computer are proprietary information to the manufacturer.

There are generic log book programs out there. But as far as I know, they require you to enter your dive data by hand. And again, you need to think of long term compatibility. I've been diving for over 30 years. Will the computer program you use today still run on the computer you'll have in 30 years?

Keep a paper log book. (And, No, I'm not a technophobe. I have a degree in computer science.)

I am not aware of anyone producing software that supports multiple brands of equipment.

Actually, as others have written Diving Log 5.0 supports a large number of different computers. With a Oceanic VT3, I was originally using the native tool to import, then export to DL5, but then found the common downloader native to DL5 and it works great. When I submitted log for DM cert, I just had the tool print a hard copy of my dives and sent it in. Not only do I keep the copy on my laptop, but I synch the log book up to the cloud, then sync again back to a smart phone so I have two separate soft copies and when needed, run a hard copy.

Cool. I'm glad to hear that someone supports multiple brands of computers. I hope they keep the support up to date. Thanks for the info.

But you have a valid point that the technology keeps changing and your data might be inaccessible. I also prefer a paper log book for the many reasons listed previously.

I like dive log also. You can sync it with an iPhone and always have the log with you. I also loge the statistics it calculates for you. easy to use!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses and feed back, have not purchased a dive compute yet but logging capabilities will definitely impact my decision!

There are generic log book programs out there. But as far as I know, they require you to enter your dive data by hand. And again, you need to think of long term compatibility. I've been diving for over 30 years. Will the computer program you use today still run on the computer you'll have in 30 years?

Keep a paper log book. (And, No, I'm not a technophobe. I have a degree in computer science.)

You can easily print out the info from your computer log book onto paper as a backup if needed...no need to use a pen and paper logbook if you need a "hard copy"

I use Diving Log 5.0 on my PC and DiveMate USB on my Android devices. They both sync with the two different brands of dive computers I've owned, and they can backup and sync with each other via DropBox. Diving Log 5.0 stores its data in an unencrypted database that many other programs can read from (.sql file), so it should be fairly future-proof.

I had a problem with DiveMate USB not importing air pressures correctly from one of my computers. I emailed the author of the program and he had a fix for me almost immediately.

I agree with those saying print everything out, for the reasons given. Considering the 100s of cassette tapes I have of my band teaching concerts and my own playing --I guess you can still find cassette players somewhere if you want to pay a lot. Technology changes so often now. With my paper logbook I xerox each page and keep the copies in our "fire box". I've read several threads on SB regarding lost log books. You can lose a computer too (or have it stolen).

I also keep a paper log, and my favorite so far is the simple regular paper book by Innovative Scuba Concepts, Inc. There is a waterproof version of this book but I prefer plain paper. I upload my dives from dive computer to PC and view the data and copy to paper log. Tried printing from electronic log and never got anything useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom