What is the most efficient way to Log and Track your dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used Dive log 5 when I was using a PC; since changing to a Mac I have been using Dive Log Manager on my laptop and on my iPhone and iPad. I like the fact that I can create an ad-hoc wireless network and sync the three devices whether I have a network available or not. I do love the print designer in Dive log 5 so my next challenge is to try to export Divelog Manager to Dive Log 5.

I've only logged 19 dives, but I really live subsurface. It's free, easy to use, syncs with my dive computer without having to use oceanic's software, you can print a paper copy of your log, and you can upload your dives to https://en.divelogs.de for another level of back up.
The only thing I wish it did was sync with my iphone.
I tried divelog 5.0 and found it to be clunky and difficult to use. I had to import dives from oceanic's software (which sucks) not directly from my dive computer.

Paper log. Efficient, compatible with all dive computers, doesn't need electricity, no software update problems, allows you to get buddy signature and dive centre stamps, and it always looks good to browse through.

I use a simple spread sheet. Its stored on the cloud so I can access via smart phone, tablet or whatever I want, when I want. Its not dependent on any single piece of technology. About once a year, I print it out and put it in a binder I keep with other important info (weight tables for my various gear configs, scanned copies of certs, rock bottom times).

This way I have the best of both paper and technology. KISS.

+1 for paper log, I also often use it to: (a) take a note of the type of the tank I used, and the exact starting and ending pressures, and calculate SAC for the dive based on that and the average depth, and (b) take a note of how much weight, and any changes in the equipment I used, and whether I felt correctly weighted, under- or overweighted, to use (along with the tank type and pressure) as a reference point in the future for adjusting my weights. Given that this is easy to forget, and best done on the boat right after the dive, I think it would be hard to keep track of all this without a paper log.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but as to quickly recording data while on the boat, I really like this slate. I keep it clipped to a deck crate, a bag, or a rail for fast use in the wet. Later, the information can be transferred to a paper log or electronic media.... the back side is also a blank slate surface for additional notes.

Innovative Divers Slate with Split Ring and Swivel Gate Clip at LeisurePro

I use SmartTrak with my Uwatec 2G computer. Easy to download the data directly. I also post the basics of each dive in my on-line dive log on my web site so dive operators around the world can check it if they don't believe me. My c-cards are also scanned and posted on the dive log for verification in the event I misplace them.

+1 for Subsurface, it's open source and free and it's download interface program works on a large number of different manufactures dive computers (you still need a computer specific download cable).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom