What is the most efficient way to Log and Track your dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been using a paper logbook for 28 years now, doesn't need batteries or an internet connection

....and a digital one backed-up across multiple platforms AND the cloud can't be stolen from you. My original logbook (with around 250 dives logged) got stolen. It's why I've moved to a digital logbook with multiple back-ups AND placed on the cloud ON TOP OF a paper backup. Plus, with just a paper logbook, it's hard to record the details a PDC-synced can provide on a paper logbook. I cross-reference all of my logbooks to get the most information out of it all.

"Tracking dives". What do you want to track? Anything interesting you might see will have to be noted hand written anyway. Computers won't tell you the current picked up. Yes, I just use the paper log, which means a little writing, but it's easy to get signed and to show as proof of my dives (STILL haven't had to do this in 9 years...). Computers will record all the data and there are many, and many apps, etc. for downloading and printing out. I only use mine on dives below 30' and usually just for checking remaining bottom time, in the rare case of a true multi-level dive. I always ascend slowly so no alarms yet. I don't log anything regarding weighting for my 3 exposure suits or which suit I wore for which water temperature. Once you get all that set the first time, why would you log it again? Just write it on a separate piece of paper and tape it to the wall.

I'm a fan of electronic log books. I use Mac Dive, which syncs across to my iPad and iPhone. I don't worry about signatures or stamps, the last time I needed proof of dives they just scrolled through my dive list. Since my dive comp uploads the dive profile they get a fair idea of my dives.

interestingly if you upload a picture and video (assuming your camera time and computer time are the same) it places them into the correct place on the dive profile

ive also been a bit anal with it, recorded all my equipment, the serial numbers, date of service and weights (great for travelling) and for insurance

i do keep paper notes on the boat to refresh my memory but that's it

you should do what ever works for you, but do log dives and keep doing so

Some computers come with a dive log program. I didn't much like Suunto's, and I understand it has gotten worse. I did like Uwatec's, but I stopped using their computers. Today, like several posters above, I use Divinglog.de's Diving Log 5 program. It's easy to use, supports a great many computers, allows sorts on a variety of fields, and isn't expensive.

I'm a big fan of electronic logging, and chalk me up as another satisfied user of DivingLog 5. Downloading from my dive computer saves me the chore of having to note exact intro and exit times and exact tank pressures, so it's a lot easier to track my gas consumption properly. I'm also getting water temps for free, which helps me keep track of correct exposure protection. Another advantage of electronic logging is that entering my notes on the computer makes it easier to produce something I can read properly later (when I wrote my essays in school, my notes were always full of deletions, additions and restructuring of the text, and usually quite unreadable a few weeks after I'd written it unles I wrote ).

On the other hand, I don't trust electronic media. It's not so much the loss of data that worries me since I have my data on Dropbox and synced to multiple computers, and I'm following a pretty strict backup regime, it's future compatibility. Paper media are inherently forward-compatible for any foreseeable future - excepting a "Fahrenheit 451" scenario - while electronic media need constant maintenance to be accessible. I'm old enough to remember the 5.25" and 3.5" floppy disks of the childhood of personal computing, and I have a lot of old files that either aren't physically accessible (how many of us have a floppy disk reader, a ZIP disk drive or a backup tape player these days?), or the file format isn't readily readable by today's software (WordPerfect v4 or MacWrite, anyone?).

That's why I keep a paper log in parallel with my electronic log. After downloading the data from my PDC to my PC and finishing the writeup of whatever I want to note down (weights, exposure protection, tank type, weather, observations, site quality etc.), I write everything into my paper log. It costs me about five minutes extra per dive logged, and I can spare that time.

Why, yes, I'm a belt-and-suspenders type of person. I also make paper prints of my photographs, in case you were wondering.

---------- Post added June 17th, 2014 at 09:11 AM ----------

Some computers come with a dive log program. I didn't much like Suunto's, and I understand it has gotten worse.
Version 4 sucks big time, not the least because it requires cloud storage and doesn't allow for local storage. Version 3 is sorta, kinda OK and, unlike Diving Log 5, downloads bookmarks from the computer.

I've done everything from making my own designed paper logbook to diving with a Sensus ultra data recorder for years (lost a bunch of dives when the battery finally died) and now I've decided that the most reliable is better than any other type of dive log. So now I use excel and keep the file on Dropbox so I have a backup on multiple devices and in the cloud and it's always up to date. If you'd like you can PM me and I'll send you the template. It's pretty simple.

Been using a paper logbook for 28 years now, doesn't need batteries or an internet connection

I occasionally download dives from my computer if I want to print them out for some reason or check my SAC rate, but it is quicker to write the stuff down, plus have the log stamped and signed.

I also used a paper logbook for a long time (maybe 300 dives or so). AND... I also used an excel file that I carried around on a stick (before Dropbox). IMO it comes down to two things: Will you have A LOT of dives? A paper logbook is just too much to carry around complete. Yes, I know you can carry your last 100 dives or so but not all of them. Will you want to search, compile, view, report, etc? There is nothing better than the electronic divelog, especially Divelog 5.0. I know that I can recall specifics about dives I had years ago. I can find my weight from certain sites when I return to them. I can answer questions about dives I've had before when folks are interested. I can see how my gear affects my dives, weight, SCR.

If you are the kind of person who will end up with hundreds of dives, and you also are the kind who likes to analyze your dives, then the best choice is an electronic logbook like DL 5.0.

Another Macdive user here, which I sync with DiveLog on my iDevices, so I always have multiple copies. I also back up my Macdive database as part of my regular, automated backup. MacDive has defined fields for just about anything you'd want to record about a dive, links dive buddies to your contacts, links to pictured you might have taken, and has a "notes" field for any other comments you might have. It, like most dive software, will plot your actual dive profile from the depth data in you computer, which I really like. True, if I don't write stuff down right away I'll forget it, like sometimes I don't remember the names of all the locations we visited on a three-tank trip by the time I get back to the hotel room.

One thing to keep in mind when shopping for a dive computer and thinking about using a electronic log books with automatic download from the dive computer to the logbook (which is the only way to go): in one of the dive industry's biggest scams, unless you buy a high-end dive computer, the dive computer will NOT come with the cable to connect you dive computer with your home computer, and the dive computer will have a proprietary connector on it, and they will charge you $100 for a $2 USB cable with that proprietary connector on it. High end dive computers will either come with a cable or use wireless communication (e.g. my Petrel uses bluetooth). Be sure to figure that cost in when you're comparing dive computers that do and do not come with connection method included.

... but it's easy to get signed and to show as proof of my dives (STILL haven't had to do this in 9 years...).

Who does? I have 24 years since O/W cert. and, likely have less than a "hand full" with a signature....

I will admit, many are with my wife, but really? Do we need such "validation"?

I never even considered trying to get a "DM" on a vacation dive to sign something, and at home, they might make me swim home......

I think this "feeds" the "checklist" mentality that is killing the dive industry.....

Just asking. Not trying to pick a fight......

..... I would like to know what the most efficient method is for tracking of dives. I currently do not own a dive computer however will be purchasing one shortly. ......

If you do not have a dive computer, then you could use our bluebuddy wireless data logger; just attach it to your BCD and go diving. After the dive use your smartphone (iOS or android) to retrieve the dive profile and log your dive.

If / when you purchase a dive computer, then you should consider our new Dive Computer Buddy wireless accessory that allows you to directly download data from your dive computer using a smartphone (iOS or Android).

Last but not least, if you are inclined so, put your smartphone inside an underwater housing and take it with you underwater so, among other things, it will automatically create a dive log for you (Smart Dive Buddy required).

Back
Top Bottom