What magazines do you read / recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abby,
The forum is :royal:'s (King Neptune) domain. He started it and is constantly monitoring it... he's kinda like the Matrix! He is everywhere, he is us, we are he... dOOd are we in a cult! LOL! Just Kidding!

Mario :D

ScubaBaby,

You will notice that Different Moderators have custom names... For example the Doctors say "Medical Regulator" to help let others know they are really doctors.

=-)

My favorite mags are: ADM (Adv. Diver Magazine)

Immersed (also great to deal with)

And if you can find it Ocean Realm (good pics!)

Eric

Just a reminder (&...a bit of a plug) that D.A.N. publishes a good, informative magazine that you will receive with your paid subscription to the Network.

If you are not already a member & you are an active diver, you may want to check them out. They could be your best friend if that swine "Murphy" climbs into your dive bag next time out & you or someone you care about experiences misfortune.

This is the least I can do for the organization that honours me by using my name...

He He.

D.S.D.

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the tip back. I checked out both of the web sites you posted. Very interesting. I even book marked them so I can always go back. 'Advanced Diver' is a great magazine and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Not at all a "soldier of Fortune" I promise. Curt Bowen, the founder, is actually a rescue fireman that started the magazine as a hobby, and it's grown from there.

It just blows my mind how much dive information is on the internet. Just when I think I've seen it all ...alas a new web site to play in!

Thanks again.
:sunny:

I currently get Skin Diver and Rodales. I used to get Dive Training but accidently let it go. I plan on picking it back up. I am always getting a mailer for Undercurrent. Is it worth it? What other magazines do yall find worth the subscription price?

Tom

Tom,

My experience with "hobby" magazines is that at some point they all have to start "recycling" because there is just so much that is new and because new readers need the information that "old hands" already have. Hence, most of the magazines have the same stuff in them after a while...

However, there is one issue that I never miss: Skin Diver's Photo Annual. They have some of the absolute best u/w photos ever! In the most recent number there is a picture of a snorkler and a whale shark that is breath taking! Skin Diver is really inexpensive and that one issue alone makes it worth the price, in my humble opinion--which some folks do not seem to think is so humble!

I have not subscribed to Undercurrents, but have seen a few issues and it looks fairly reasonable. I let my subscription to Dive Training elapse because I did not find it more useful than Skin Diver.

Oh yes, this Board is an excellent source of info--and,I think, you get more varied opinions here because most of the folks are not on retainers, do not get perks for doing articles, etc....

Joewr

Hi Tom,

If you want a scuba mag with absolutely no advertising, and therefore no sources of money whose toes the editor has to watch, check out "Undercurrent" http://www.undercurrent.org/. This is a straight shooting pub that is not afraid to tackle the controversial issues & call a spade a spade. Also runs very detailed location reviews, both land-based & live-aboard.

Can go with a reasonably priced online or a pricier pulp subscription. Both give you access to "The Travelin' Diver's Chap Book," an annual 500+ page compendium of reader reviews of resorts, dive ops & boats.

If you haven't seen "Dive Training" recently, I'd suggest you do so. It has many excellent articles you won't find elsewhere.

Happy reading.

DocVikingo

Tom,

FWIW, I subscribe to them all in the the belief that if I can't 'get wet ' for real I will do so vicariously.

My two favorites are Rodale's "Scuba Diving" and " Dive Training" because of my ongoing interest in learning new diving skills, or bettering those I already have. Rodale's internet site is worth checking out if you haven't done so already.

If you want no-holds-barred critical reviews of dive resorts/equipment/whatever not influenced by advertizers, "Undercurrent" would be your choice. Their revenue comes from subscription sales, not from advertizing. Although it accepts advertizing, I think Rodale's does rather well in the critical review area as well.

I consider "Skin Diver" and PADI's "Sport Diver" to be pubs with top notch photography and advertizing-driven softball stories. I don't place much credence in either their reviews or reports.

As I mentioned at the top, they all have their place, and I read them all. However, if my choice had to be limited to two it would be Rodale's "Scuba Diving" and "Dive Training."

Warren aka FinMeister

Back
Top Bottom