What magazines do you read / recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Warren,

Regarding your comment on Rodale's doing rather well in the critical review area. Having written a regular column in "RSD" for about a year & a half, and being a subscriber for 7 years, I would agree with you on this point in the gear arena. In the sphere of location reviews, however, I find many of these to be unbalanced & quite unrealistically "positive," with no mention of faults, foibles or shortcomings.

When looking into a new diving venue, I rely much more heavily on "Undercurrent's" Chap Book than RSD's coverage.

Just my opinion.

DocVikingo

Hi Doc Vikingo,

Thank you. I appreciate your opinion and accept its veracity considering you did 'time' at RSD. I've become a fan of the RSD diver education/instruction web pages and hardcopy articles. Also, the equipment test/reviews have provided useful information when I've been comparison-shopping.

However, I've not had occasion to check out the RSD resort reviews, but do admit to wondering at not having read a discouraging word. Especially when a large display ad of the resort shows up in the same issue as the review . . .

Out of curiosity, when doing a review is the RSD reviewer being 'comped' by the resort under review? Is the reviewer 'anonymous and paying her/her way, or is he known to the resort, and getting a freebie? What's the policy of RSD in this area?

One of the reasons I subscribed to Undercurrent was that I sensed Ben Davidson, et al, were just showing up at a place, remaining anonymous, and paying their way. No strings, implied or otherwise.

For entertainment, Rodales, Skin Diver & Sport Diver are all fine, though none come close to what Scuba Times used to be. For gear reviews, Rodales and Dive Training are the better of the slicks. For the best, most reliable information on diving related ideas, information and techniques, my vote is hands down for Dive Training.. for the down & dirty, Undercurrent is in a class by itself.
*Warning* The Undercurrent staff is unable to personally check out the veracity of every write-up they receive, and the occasional ax-grinder shows up dissing a perfectly fine establishment - so read *all* the reviews on a place; if one or two seem way out of line with the rest they're probably BS.
Rick

Usually like Rodales.This months issue has areal knucklehead article on "Deep Diving Tips of the pros"Old,erroneous and useless info with a coupla gems any third grader could have told you.Also be aware they support a few far left-wing environmental issues.I've quit giving them my money and read the promos at the shop.Try Immersed if you want any Technical info.The popular rags would probly make a statistic out of you.The Skin-Diver Photo annual is a piece of art,that issue is my favorite also

I like, in no particular order:
DIRQuest (solid technique, indepth articles, no ads)
Immersed
Advanced Diver
Dive Training
Undercurrent
Skin Diver Photo Annual

I appreciate the reponses. I'll send on my subscription to Undercurrent here shortly, and find a card for Dive Training. I agree with yall the Skin diver photo annual is beautiful.
I have seen some poor reviews in Rodales but they are very few and far between. Normally the lowest rating a place gets is a B-. I have seen a C.

Tom

Tom

I read Rodales, Skin Diver, Sport Diver as well as Undercurrent. I like Undercurrent for the resort and live-aboard reveiws. Another Undercurrent subscriber advantage is the "Chapbook". The Chapbook is a readers view of the resorts and live-aboards worldwide.

I read and heed the other magazines. I decide where to go for my dive vacations based on the Chapbook.

Thanks, Ken

Tom,

I have a card for Dive Training....I can fill it out with your name/address and send it in for you. Let me know.

PS. Are you going to the Dillo meeting this Thursday?

Immersed, Dive Training, Scuba Diving...

Pretty much my top 3.

Bill

You guys -
ya'll just need to go diving a little more - this whole "reading" thing is overrated...

well - I'm outta here - have to get some more gas...
Dane

Back
Top Bottom