What stops you from diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg G.

Reaction score
This is a carry-over from another thread.

And believe me, it doesn't really stop me from diving, only DRIVING. A buddy had a tech dive to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge canceled again for the third time Saturday because of really nasty road conditions in the Tacoma area. I had a club dive scheduled for Sunrise Beach on Sunday, but based on my buddy's report for Saturday, and the weather forcast for Sunday, I decided to call it, but only because of DRIVING conditions. I told everybody who really wanted to dive today that we would meet at Seacrest and dive there or the Pipeline instead. But as people awoke and looked out the window at the blizzard, one by one they called me and said they weren't gonna go. I myself did not see any snow when I awoke, but I'm right next to the water.

I remember well diving in my wet suit in a foot of snow in Canada several years ago. It was a good dive, the water temp was still the same as always, and face it, even on a good day my feet were always numb for a while after a wet suit dive. Of course I had more sense than to peel out of the wet suit in the snow, I went inside to the change room where they had a nice hot shower.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Hey Greg,

Let's go snow diving... :)

I bagged one shore dive due to excessively high surf. The shore was a rocky, steep entry/exit point and the surf would have turned us into swiss cheese by bashing us against the rocks.

Fortunately that was on Malta, so we hopped in the van and 30 minutes later we were on the lee shore of the island with calm seas. :)

We have had to chip ice off the boat windows to see.... but still we dive!

And crunch ice to get out.... but still we dive!

And brave Orcas to roll in.... but still we dive!

But but last winter we had to abort a dive...

A storm had blown in hundreds of drift logs into the Deception Pass area and our aluminum dive boat was located on the inside of the pass...

The current was ebbing at 7+ kts with 40+ kt opposing wind...

The maelstrom of curning logs, whirlpools and standing waves below the Bridge was incredible!!!

Of course we were going to do the dive but the Park ranger, Hank, didn't think it was a good idea.

:wink:

Ice dive was the plan, but after cutting the corners of the triangle with an ice auger we realized that our chain saw balde was not long enough to cut through the ice.

Funny you should ask that question... I just cancelled a dive this morning - woke up with my innards in an uproar, felt I'd be in danger of commiting the Warhammer maneuver if I went, so I cancelled.
Rick

NDS (Non Diving Spouse) with hunny-do list.

Also 14 inches of ice when only OW Cert. puts a damper on things.

Sinus headache. In my early years I didn't recognize the sinus headache for the hateful creature it is. I woke up on one dive day with just the slightest hint of a headache. It was so mild I went ahead with my first dive and at depth the headache was gone (go figure). Once I surfaced the headache was a little worse but I still didn't realize it was a sinus headache. I dove a second time, this was a class after all and I only needed two more dives to get my AOW. Headache went away again during the dive but when I came up it came back with a VENGEANCE! After dinner I got sick, the instructor thought I was bent and started doing an evaluation to see if I that was the case. I told her it was just the headache making me sick, that had happened before in a non-diving situation. Needless to say I skipped the night dive, there was just no way I was going in again even though the headache had gone away by the time the divers were ready to get in. I had to put off finishing my AOW for almost 3 years because I skipped that dive but it was worth it.

Ber :bunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom