What stops you from diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by nivtup
1) "Dive Buddy" Dan, who seems to always have a reason not to go. (Can't understand this at all)

2) Money. Still working on Getting ALL the toys in place.

3) Refer to number 1

4) OK I really have enough money to dive a LOT MORE.

5) That leaves number 1

:(

Hmmm....
You are near some of the best diving in the PNW there on Hood Canal and you are letting Dan hold you back....

Time to get out and find some new buddies....
I'll have to see about getting over to Sund Rock....

What good replies :D

I have to take Spydertek's slant and say, while good responses, the real question that I saw was what STOPS you from diving, not what PREVENTS you from diving. And, I think that at the top of my list is one doesn't find it fun anymore for whatever reason: burn out due to one too many classes or not enough "me" time, an ongoing bad experience with the LDS, some bad experiences u/w, etc. etc.

As far as preventing me from diving:
1. Money.
2. Time.
3. I'm with Ber Rabbit on this: I work nights, have some mixed weekdays off (for some reason my buds don't get to take off work to go diving).
4. Location; have to drive a couple of hours or more to get to a decent dive hole.
5. Any of a number of ailments: ear infection, sinus colds, stomach issues, etc.
6. Any number of weather or environmental factors: 6-10 foot waves, rainy and cold (just a miserable experience), gut feeling, etc.

And, I must say Fishkiller: 60 degrees F is quite a warm day of diving; I'd be happy to dive in that temperature any time. Most of the dives up here in the :cold: north are under 50.

i guess the things that keep me from diving is
#1 no dive buddie , its lonely with out a buddie!
#2 water tempture , with a wet suit it is just too cold for me to make a decent dive ,
#3 did i mention reason # 1

Nothing!

Yet anyway. I have to move around to keep peak interest, but I'm in the water 6-7 days a week. I love this stuff

When I see lobster pots getting upended and rolling around I think its time to 'call the dive'.
When the vis is 0 and the ocean is tossing us around,and the bug you are trying for is 3 feet away then suddenly 3 inches then 4 feet then gone, I think its time to 'call' the dive. (This could be a new Jeff Foxworthy thing). But none of this is absolute...

Cold or flu

Still recovering from a cold or flu even though feel better

Rough waves at the dive site resulting in dangerous entries, rough boat rides, strong surge, and poor vis

Storm or rain

Car at the mechanic's

Regs in the shop for annual maintenance

Like Ber, I work shifts and seem to only know divers who work 9-5 :(

Lack of weekends off can hamper my diving activities.

Dom :nurse:

1. NDS and family obligations
2. Weather (recently started diving dry so that isn't an issue any more).

I usually dive 2 or 3 weekends a month at the local sites (lakes, quaries, mud holes). Would like to dive more but I have to work, eat, sleep and keep my wife from leaving me.

Oh, for those who mentioned ear infections, search the board for the ProEar mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom