What stops you from diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Visibility under 3 feet.

Waves over 5 feet for shore dives

Sinus problems (head cold or allergies).

As long as I can read the words "Tempered Glass", the viz is good enough for me.

Spinal reconstruction surgery to be exact. Maybe January.

Joe

I digress a little to this thread but I reckon it should be ok, but we're still in the realm of abortion...

I recently came across a diver who was trying to get back in to the swing of things after 9 years on land. He'd had a bad experience with his buddy blacking out at 30m and dropping to 56m. He ditched his belt and sent him up and lived to tell the tale but he was too shook up on following dives so he packed it in until recently.

Now, I was finding it difficult to reassure him as much as I would of liked to as I'm a bit spooked myself after getting nailed by a trigger and unexpectedly seeing a pointer (on seperate dives thank fcuk). I've noticed that my air consumption has gone wank and that I get stressed out by even cleaner fish cleaning my scabs or a diver catching me with their fin.

So, what's the best way to reassure someone who is spooked rather than let them give up???

I'm not going to read through this whole string, but today I had planned a solo dive in the Clackamas River. I got to the dive site, went down and looked at the river, and asked whether I wanted to dive. The water was cold, but clear, and the river fairly low. But there was a fairly high, cold wind, and it was not real bright out. I decided not to dive, based on the fact that I had asked myself the question, and went instead straight to the bicycle shop I had planned to visit after the dive (I'm buying a recumbant bicycle, and that is also getting exciting).

I will occasionally call a dive simply because I don't feel like getting wet right then. This was such a case. I had no real reason, other than a nagging question in my mind, so I bagged it.

I remember one time last winter bagging a second dive with a diver I had just met, because we had gone a bit deeper than I had planned, and I was in a wet suit and had gotten cold. The real reason for the cold wasn't the wet suit, but the fact that I had left my booties on the outside of the pants, and not on the inside. They had therefore channeled quite a bit of water into them during the deeper part of the dive, and when I was walking on rocks after the dive to get up to our cars, I couldn't feel my heels (I literally got "cold feet":)) So, we went in, got some chowder, and got to know each other better.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom