What stops you from diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the current is going to fast to make it back to point of entry. Dont go.
If you are spear fishing and cant see the end of the spear gun. Go somewhere else.
If the pressure gauge reads 500psi.
If the thunderstorm is making your hair stand on end.
If you say "Hey guys watch this" Abort dive at once.

I realize I am not the poster of this topic but I would like to suggest a slight skew to the topic of this thread.

There have been numerous discussions on what / why you might have aborted or will abort a dive. However, when I read the tag line initially "What stops you from Diving?" I saw a different question there than what is being answered.

More specifically, I'd like to know what sort of complications prevent you from diving when you arent diving as often as you would like.

Personal example: I would definately classify myself as a Dive fanatic (I spend an average of 6-8 hours a day on this board) but have a bunch of issues as to why I am here and not out getting wet.

I Live on the North east coast of USA (New York / New Jersey area) and it is curently winter. I do not own nor know how to opperate a dry suit. If I did have a dry suit knew how to use it I do not have a car to get to dive locations locally. If I did have a car, and a dry suit and knew how to use it I don't realy have a dive buddy in the area (although I have gotten some offers from people on this board recently: THANKS GUYS!).

Well I can't dive locally, lets take one of the trips! Yeah that's the ticket!...Damn, that's no good either cause I'm currently unemployeed and used up all my credit / finances getting initially certified and buying my equipment :(

curses! Foiled again!

What are your issues? What (if anything are yuo doing to fascilitate your addiction?

Longingly yours,

Spydertek

Granted my nose has a real propblem with hard water and wet water that is below the 60 degree F level. I would dive in the appropriate locations given the choice. What stops me from diving is the little item called MONEY,

Having to work occasioally foils a dive,weather can run me off but as my name implies I get wet as often as possible.

Let's see . . .

what prevents me from diving as much as I'd like is 1) money and 2) being a single parent, I can't be off diving every weekend.

currently what stops me from diving is iffy weather conditions. I'm a beginner, so if the weather doesn't look to be sunny and bright, I get a little worried. :wink:

I went diving this weekend and it was mostly cloudy with about 10-20 mph tradewinds - but it was ok. I guess as I get more experience I'll be better able to judge whether the weather is ok or a no-go. Until then, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

1. Money
2. Cold
3. Tsunami/Hurricane/Tornado/Volcanic Eruption

usually # 1 but occasionally # 3. It was 70 degrees today, I had enough money for an air fill and gas in my car. I don't know what it is about the winter that makes people want to stop diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom