What stops you from diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Money for a boat trip
2. The flu
3. Chocolate colored water after it rains (beach dives)
4. Work (the non-diving kind)
5. Broken limbs
6. 20 ft. swells in the Santa Barbara Channel

Neil

Nobody to dive with, at least not locally. I have gotten offers from some in the Puget Sound area, but that is 350 miles away and in the winter where I have to go over a 5000 ft pass to get there, it just doesn't make much sense. I sure wish I could find a buddy near here. I know of several people who are certified, but nobody ever actually goes diving here.

Later, Hawk.

Lack of money and weather conditions. Usually not #1 as I can find several local "shore diving" areas around. If I can fill a tank, I can go diving .A lesson I learned the hard way, was to not tempt Mother Nature, cause she can be a real mother! 4 of us in a group, I had only dove the location once before, so I was kinda of relying on the vets at this location. Went into the water with some waves "building in the distance". Exited to get pounded by waves and tossed around like lint in a clothes dryer. Now I always pay attention to whats happening "out in the distance"

Work, I work nights and am off Monday night and Tuesday night so Tuesday would be a great day for me to dive. Unfortunately all my dive buddies have weekends off :( Right now I'm working 6 nights a week so diving isn't really an option the idea of working all night, getting off work at 7 or 8 am then driving 2.5 hours, diving and then driving home just doesn't appeal to me. Getting off work, going home and going to bed (or getting on here) does. Maybe in April when I go back to a 5 day week I can get someone to meet me at Gilboa Quarry on a Tuesday.
Ber :bunny:

we went into a small surf in new england, and came out to a wind blown surf. the surf was pretty tough and she ( my wife ) fell and rolled a bit. we sat out and it looked a little better. But when i tried to get her to go back in she said "Instructor told her not to let me get her into the water when she was uncomfortable" It was a good call on her part. wind got stronger and we watched a pounding surf. Thats why I like her as a buddy. She will call it if she feels it is outside her realm of enjoyment. Me, I will call it if my buddy doesn't want to dive :)

Well primarily a lack of water.......

See this pic of low tide

Aquamore

Let's see (in no particular order):

Sinus infection
VERY large waves
Family obligations
Work obligatonis
Nuclear explosion
Catastrophic failure of Earth's gravitational pull

As I dive about every 2 weeks or so, most of the above don't take too much toll.

Going to the quarry tonite and can't wait.

I live where I can dive almost any day of the year. The furthest shore dive location on this island, from where I live, is less than an hour away. The only thing that can really prevent me from getting wet is a typhoon. Even when the weather is bad, there is always someplace close that is still diveable. With that being said, I call dives all the time. Sometimes because it's raining, sometimes because I don't have the right film for my camera, sometimes because I just don't feel right. It just doesn't make sense for me to push it or take any chances when I can always dive tomorrow. Am I a CAD or WWW? You Bet'cha… but I also average close to 200 dives a year. Gee, the wind is dying, the sun is starting to show, I have a new toy for my camera, a fresh roll of film, I think I'll go get wet. See ya…
Dive Safe'
Rooster

1) "Dive Buddy" Dan, who seems to always have a reason not to go. (Can't understand this at all)

2) Money. Still working on Getting ALL the toys in place.

3) Refer to number 1

4) OK I really have enough money to dive a LOT MORE.

5) That leaves number 1

:(

Back
Top Bottom