What the heck "stung" me????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW! Looks like I got it in a better place than both of the Andy's. Whoo!

I think I'll stick to a jellyfish story. It's the most logical. It might sound better if I say it was purple and 8 feet long. That story sounds better......:wink:
Jo

Yeah, I've had the lip too... whilst teaching on an OW course, which made the briefing for the second dive a bit tough. Funny, though, one of the students (a big rugby bloke) told me to "toughen up" 'cause I was whinging about the pain. I nearly pee-d myself when on the second dive he got stung on the lip and was crying like a baby on the surface afterwards. Being the kind, sensitive soul that I am.... I just told him to quit crying and toughen up....!

I've also made the mistake of touching a sting, and then later rubbing my eyes. Talk about pain - not as painful as the testicles, mind you, but maybe that's just a guy thing. :)

:35:

AndyNZ:
I've also made the mistake of touching a sting, and then later rubbing my eyes. Talk about pain - not as painful as the testicles, mind you, but maybe that's just a guy thing. :)

If you are diving with your testicles exposed, you probably deserve to have them stung. :D

RICoder:
If you are diving with your testicles exposed, you probably deserve to have them stung. :D

Boardshorts with nothing on underneath, so at least I wasn't being indecent! It was surfing as well, so a bit more active than diving - but the water was a good 26 degrees....

... right, I'll get me coat then shall I?

There are lots of tiny jellies out there. Ones in Austraila are so small that the scientists can barely find them to capture and study. But if one (1!!!) stings you, you can die. If you don't die, you lay in a hospital bed for a week or 3 begging to be killed because painkillers have no effect.

Glad you're OK though Joh. Hope you had more than enough fun to make up for that!
Any chance of coming to the Hole on either 15-16 or 21-22 weekends?

FD

One of our local dive sites is actually one of only two places in the world that has freshwater jellyfish.... very intriguing, until you actually seem them! They're about 1cm across and look like a bag of pulsating snot. But at least they don't sting...

Sounds like a Portugese Man O War(sp) based on the severity of the stings...And you probably wouldn't see it because it floats on the surface...Just a guess...

RICoder:

Bwaahhaaahaaaaha !!! Stop it I nearly choked on my drink then :lol:

Jelly tentacles can still sting after becoming detached. Some jellies are pretty nasty. Not likely a Man 'O War as their tentacles are easily seen, they look like little purple beeds.

Why are you taking antibiotics? Don't they only work against bacterial infections? My guess is you should be treating for an allergic reaction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom