What the heck "stung" me????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have this procedure for jellyfish.

- I go diving in the strait of elsinore, late summer, no viz, lots of jellies.

- I always wear gloves so I can shove them aside and get on with it.

- Eventually I surface at the beach, thinking "well, that was a fun dive".

- I then remove my mask (forehead) and wipe the water off my face ...

Hot damn.

I have been stung by a box jellyfish once....same thing happened to my arm and the pain and itching lasted for 2 months!

Maybe the result of thimble jellyfish or their larva? They're plentiful off Playa del Carmen in the Spring and early Summer. Your reaction would be more severe than expected but may be an allergic reaction. Just a guess.

AndyNZ:
One of our local dive sites is actually one of only two places in the world that has freshwater jellyfish.... very intriguing, until you actually seem them! They're about 1cm across and look like a bag of pulsating snot. But at least they don't sting...

I dive the quarries in Indiana... and we have tons of freshwater jellies.... they are cute!! Very tiny, and again, they don't sting.

Walter:
Jelly tentacles can still sting after becoming detached. Some jellies are pretty nasty. Not likely a Man 'O War as their tentacles are easily seen, they look like little purple beeds.

Why are you taking antibiotics? Don't they only work against bacterial infections? My guess is you should be treating for an allergic reaction.

My wound is deffinately infected. It's green and oozy. It is looking a bit better, but it itches like crazy! Tomorrow will have been one month ago that it happened.

Gloves are not allowed in Mexico, but I'll take the blame for not wearing a lycra suit. (I only had on a shorty)

Thanks for all the info!

what a drag. Hopefully it's the "healing-type" itch?

H2Andy:
i was on the phone with my wife that night "id god bid by a deddy dish on dy dip"

"what?"

"i god bid by a DEDDY DISH on dy DIP, daddit!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Man, you constantly CRACK ME UP!!!

scubajoh44:
My wound is deffinately infected. It's green and oozy. It is looking a bit better, but it itches like crazy! Tomorrow will have been one month ago that it happened.

Gloves are not allowed in Mexico, but I'll take the blame for not wearing a lycra suit. (I only had on a shorty)

Thanks for all the info!

Need to watch out for gangrene... if it really starts to smell bad... and turn black / green... watch for fever too... hopefully they have you on steroids too...

Always wear a skin suit even in warm water.
Jellyfish and man-o-war really sting long after the the dive.

scubajoh44:

Thanks for all the info!

I keep gloves in my pocket anyway, but I've never worn a lycra suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom