What to buy first a BC or Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buying our own BC's was the single biggest improvement in our diving, after buying our own wetsuits. Having our own Regs is nice, and there is a difference certainly, but having the same, properly fitted BC each time has made both my wife and I's diving better, more consistent, and more fun.

Just having a very good idea each time we get in the water of what kind of weight we're going to need improved us dramatically. I'm pretty sure that I could slap any properly functioning reg on and have a decent dive, but changing BC's would be a learning experience every time.

The argument for the reg is that it is the essential life support gear, and owning your own you can be certain of when it was serviced, how it was serviced, etc., you have a guarranty of it's fitness.

The argument for the BCD is that one of the primary cuases of diver injury is bouyancy issues, caused by ascending or decending too fast, usually due to failing to properly vent the BC, or filling it with too much air to compensate for overweighting or whatever.

BCD's are, in some respects, more comlicated to use. All the hooks and clips and pockets where you put stuff you use on the dive mean that not being absolutely comfortable with where stuff is on your BC and how it's attached can create a less pleasant dive than if you just KNOW where that stuff is and can grab it without looking.

Most rental regs have minor problems. But as a relatively new diver, I've decided to get a BCD first.

As Firedive notes, I just never really found a store rental BC that I was comfortable in. And I can live with a few random minor bubbles from the 1st stage until I can get the reg I want.

Reg first. As noted, you need to refine your preference for a BCD still - eg Back vs Jacket vs Hybrid etc..

I would go with Reg and possibly computer at the same time. But I also tend to believe in buying one really good thing vs a so-so item to be replaced soon thereafter.

I think in general don't buy anything when you're not ready -- cannot decide what to buy and when to buy, wait until you know you need it and you're ready.

Esp besides the basic gear -- mask, fins, snokel and wet suit.
Other equip aside from the basic gear, if you get a chance, try different items, do some research, ask around etc. and determine how often you're going to use them. Besides, a lot of items, you only need one, so it's good to take some time to decide.

Aside from the basic gear and wet suit, I brought my regulator first because to me, it is easier to decide. BC -- even for the same brand, you have different models to choose from, then different brand names and style - jacket, backplate & wing etc. So, by the mean time, if you can, rent or borrow from someone and see what is the most suitable BC for yourself.

The first things I bought were the basics like mask and fins etc. My first major purchase was a dive computer. I'm really glad I went that route b/c it allowed me to become an indpendent diver. It's also extremely simple to travel with. The other things are important, but you can easily assess quality at a shop by asking some questiions before renting their equipment. Having a computer and understanding how to use it also makes you a better diver.

I would agree that it ultimately is up to you as to what you want to achieve, and I would throw a third big-ticket item on there if you are not including it with the regs and that is your computer. It can cost anywhere from half to twice what the others cost.

If you want to improve your diving skill especially in the area of bouyancy, I would go for the bc. Plus having a familliar bc also increases comfort and efficience during the dive. EDIT: I dont want to say that just buying your own bc will make you a better diver, but the consistancy of having your own will help develop skills faster.

If you want more peace of mind, go with the regs. They are your life sustaining equipment and knowing their service record and where they have been is nice. The last time I used a rental set, it was waiting for me on the boat, and lets just say with the mouth piece I got, I just closed my eyes and hoped what I got from it was curable. I got my own SOON after that.

If you want more bottom time per dive $ spent, then the computer is the obvious choice.

There is no right answer. You just need to decide what is most important to accomplish.

I would go for the regs first. Besides you drop more $ on renting regs thatn anything else.

I decided to get regs & computer first. 1 - Because you put the reg in your mouth, 2 - Because the reg keeps you alive underwater, 3 - Learning a new dive computer (or not having a dive computer) at every different place you rent is a pain in the butt.

I thought they came (permanantly) attached to each other- like a motor in a car......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom