What to do when the Rochester Wideband isn't enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skin prep (or tincture of benzoin) is likely to help but assuming starting off dry and no skin oils to start I can't help but wonder if there might be more going on like a combination of back pressure and overly concentrated urine due to dehydration impacting the adhesive simply because of how generally aggressive the Bard wideband adhesive is to begin with?
Also I don't know what differences there are in Bard vs Coloplast vs ___ adhesive chemistry, but it's possible (not necessarily probable, just mentioing as something to consider..) that freedom clear or one of the hydrocolloid options available would be more compatible with your body chemistry even if it was considered a "less" aggressive adhesive?

I occasionally use medical adhesive spray which works really well. It’s overkill but there’s no way the catheter is coming off accidentally.

I can't help but wonder if there might be more going on like a combination of back pressure and overly concentrated urine due to dehydration impacting the adhesive
A good idea, but because I've not been able to trust them to stay on, I've been too 🐓💩 to actually use my pee valve during the dive. On occasion I'll use it before the start of the dive, but even when I put one on for a size-test while working from home, it was gone within a few hours. I guess trying other brands may make sense. Just seems counter-intuitive to go to one that advertises being less sticky.

I occasionally use medical adhesive spray which works really well. It’s overkill but there’s no way the catheter is coming off accidentally.
Any chance I can get a link? I'll add it to my to-try list :)

A good idea, but because I've not been able to trust them to stay on, I've been too 🐓💩 to actually use my pee valve during the dive. On occasion I'll use it before the start of the dive, but even when I put one on for a size-test while working from home, it was gone within a few hours. I guess trying other brands may make sense. Just seems counter-intuitive to go to one that advertises being less sticky.

Any chance I can get a link? I'll add it to my to-try list :)
Adhesive

Get the remover if you want to pull it off easily after the dive. Otherwise, you’ll probably want to wait until you shower.

I use these (the wipe version).

Just ordered a new case of catheters (100) and 2 x boxes (54 each) of these.

I had a blow-out once, when I didn't use one of these. Have not had a blowout after using one.

No joke, you are the most qualified person in this matter, you should make a YT video with graphic details to take the mystery and stigma away from this subject.

Adhesive

Get the remover if you want to pull it off easily after the dive. Otherwise, you’ll probably want to wait until you shower.
The Skinister spray is what my wife uses on her She-P. I have not tried it as a supplement to my catheter's adhesive.

Something that has occurred to me is whether the supplemental spray adhesive might actually interfere with, rather than reinforce, the adhesion of the catheter's own adhesive. Not an issue?

No joke, you are the most qualified person in this matter, you should make a YT video with graphic details to take the mystery and stigma away from this subject.

Will you promise to watch every single second of it?

Also, for the record, the Coloplast prep wipes I linked earlier prep the skin for donning a catheter. The "film" it leaves behind IS adhesive.

Oh, and after re-reading the OP, @glueeater you said that it doesn't matter how well you wash/clean your junk on the morning of. But, you didn't actually say whether you are donning the catheter immediately after your clean'n'dry process, or if you are waiting to don until shortly before diving.

If I were not using a skin prep wipe, I would don the catheter immediately after cleaning up. With the skin prep wipe, I still do that, just for the convenience of doing it at "home". But, I think the wipe cleans and preps adequately that it would also be fine to use one and don the catheter shortly before diving. The wipes smell like alcohol and leave your skin very tacky.

I don't think I've ever tried putting it on at home right after the shower and then driving to the site. Easy enough to try and see if it lasts longer. In Mexico I was either putting them on at the dive shop or when suiting up at the site.

I don't think I've ever tried putting it on at home right after the shower and then driving to the site. Easy enough to try and see if it lasts longer. In Mexico I was either putting them on at the dive shop or when suiting up at the site.

I feel like doing it that way means however clean I WAS, I am no longer. Skin oils, sweat, whatever. Then, it's like trying to stick something to any "dirty" surface. I.e. it doesn't work. You have to don the catheter when your skin is clean.

So, either fresh out of the shower, or use a skin prep wipe to clean up first.

Back
Top Bottom