What's a suitable computer for a new computer-buyer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverMK once bubbled...
Your posts are very insightful and helpful for me in making my decision. Based on people's recommendations and my finances, I think I will go with a Suunto Viper. I've looked at a few websites, and it looks like my best bet is to go with an ebay seller. If I buy a brand new one from an ebay seller, does anyone know if I will still get the manufacturer's warranty? I haven't bought anything from ebay before, so I don't know how these warranties work.

Thanks again!

-soon to become a Vyper user

Unless you can get it for well less than $300 from ebay, I'd get it at Leisurepro.com. It's only $315 there and they provide you with the equivalent of the manufacturer's warranty. They'll have Vypers in stock for some time, so there shouldn't be any "out of stock" worries.

jamiei once bubbled...

to track it accurately you do... I like accuracy and precision and the cobra provides that for me. Everyone wants something different and thats why there is so much to choose from.

Pug beat me too it, but I know what my SPG will say before I look at it. If there is a significant deviation from what I expect I know that there might be something wrong.

I do agree that peoples needs differ, andas I've stated before this is just my opinion/experience.

As for Pugs other point, I still remain unconvinced that CRYB :wink:

UP, purple koolaid?

The Aeris Atmos 2 is $249.95 at Leisure Pro and Divers Discount (read price guarantee). Same features as the Suunto Vyper, just a thought.:eek:ut:

I would like to ask if Aeries has solved their issue with the batteries running low quickly. My Cobra has over seventy dives on it in about 10 months and the battery is still in the high range. I have seen Aeries owners on dives where we are scrambling to find them batteries at the last minute on batteries that were replaced a few months ago. This is another reason that I like my Suunto D.C.'s.

Another comment to the fire, I can pretty well guess my air consumption as well from experience. I also tend to be low on air comsumption, so I normally have plenty of air when my buddy has to turn first (plus the 1.5 factor that I use in my gas management calculations comes in real handy and conservative). However, I do like having the Cobra to back-up my VyTec in case something happens to one or the other and it is more useful to me than a SPG. I paid good money for the Cobra and I don't trust remote AI as much as I do the AI with a hose (one less set of batteries to go out). So the only computer I have with AI is my Cobra. I use the VyTec without the remote transmitter and I still like it as it has nice big readable numbers on my wrist (very handy when ascending up that lift bag and homemade ascent line that the instructor made me use for drills).

diverbrian once bubbled...
I would like to ask if Aeries has solved their issue with the batteries running low quickly. My Cobra has over seventy dives on it in about 10 months and the battery is still in the high range. I have seen Aeries owners on dives where we are scrambling to find them batteries at the last minute on batteries that were replaced a few months ago. This is another reason that I like my Suunto D.C.'s.

How can you tell how much battery power you have left? Do computers have a gauge that tracks battery juice?

What kind of batteries does a Suunto Vyper use? I only know that the user can change it him/herself.

When you power on any of the Suunto computers, you will see four (hopefully as less means that your battery is getting low) bars on the right hand side when the computer goes through it's power up sequence.

As far as what battery the Suunto Vyper uses, I really don't know. Your instruction manual or the LDS should be able to provide you with this info. If you bought it online, you MAY be able to access that information off of the Suunto website.

I hope that this helps.

The Vyper batteries are a standard size, available at radio shack.

Replacing the battery may (or may not) involve replacing the O-Ring that seals the case, depending on what state it's in.

Mines running on about 8 months, and still reads 4 bars when it starts up.

If you buy from liesure pro make sure they are a certified rep for what you buy. If not you won't have any recourse on a warranty issue. Check out www.scuba.com
they are an authorised dealer for everything they sell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom