What's a suitable computer for a new computer-buyer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo:
DON'T get an air-only computer - as soon as you get nitrox certified (if you're not already), it's obsolete.

We did EAD in my nitrox class. Didn't you?

The Aeris Atmos 2 and the Oceanic Versa Pro are two nearly-identical quality computers. I Personally have the Atmos2 but it seems the oceanic just has a larger screen. Both can be had for less than $300 at scubatoys. (Atmos2-289)(VersaPro-269)

PerroneFord:
We did EAD in my nitrox class. Didn't you?

1. This thread is 2 years old :)

2. EAD works if you want to use air tables while planning for a nitrox dive. What does this have to do with using computers?

2. The premise was that you can't use an air computer for nitrox dives. Sure you can.

of course you can, but if you want the extended bottom times you will end up bending the comp. And yes I think Scubaroo probably learned EAD somewhere along the way.

Yes, for the extended bottom times it makes sense. Many people talk of diving nitrox on air tables (or computer) for the added safety margin. I'm not sure I'd do that, but I don't think the computer becomes obsolete just because you take nitrox.

That said, if the user can afford a nitrox computer and wants one, it's a great suggestion.

I like the Suunto Vyper i have,but for the money look at the Suunto Gekko.It has almost all the features of the vyper except backlighting and download capability.My dad owns a gekko and he is very happy with it.

The Gekko is sweet, and something I looked at for myself. But the download capability REALLY comes in handy so it's going to be a Vyper for me. Plus the Vyper can be used in guage mode, and the Gekko cannot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom