What's your best dive ever ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't yet had my best dive-so i'll dive n dive untill I do

Hmm. My best dive was my first night dive. It was the weekend after my certification. My first weekend of diving. We went in a group of three. One of our group had trouble descending, so the other asked me to stay on the platform (20 ft) and he went to check on her real quick. While he was checking on her, I pushed off the platform and got myself completely neutral. I turned off my light and just let myself experience the water. Pitch black, floating weightless, and they had Pink Floyd music pumped underwater. It was the most incredible experience. The buddy who could not descend aborted and the other buddy came back and we did our dive. I had so much fun.

My second day of sat on the Doria. Visibility cleared up to about 50', the current was down, the sun was bright, and I had some time to look around waiting for the welding cable. I wore holes in both knees of my hot water suit that day and she totally kicked by butt… but what a rush.

Attachments

• DoriaSatA704.jpg
    DoriaSatA704.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 155
Akimbo - open circuit ? Whats on your back ?

Akimbo, what kind of commercial diving were you doing on the Doria?

Hey divers and bubble makers,
I thought to start a fun thread as a change .
Could you describe your best dive ever ? try to give us information like location , when did you do it , what did you see and why do you think it was your best dive ?

Pics would be great too :)

Have splendid safe dives :)

To be honest, I believe the question has been asked before. Also being honest, I can't pinpoint one dive, as it was the 13 I did this past Jan. out of Portobelo, Panama (my 1st and only Caribbean dives). It was a Caribbean rarity. I was permitted to collect live shells (for my colletion), the best being some Atlantic Tritons Trumpets.

Akimbo - open circuit ? Whats on your back ?

An aluminum 80 bailout. Inverted bailouts weren’t the norm yet. We had a problem with our push-pull system (surface based closed circuit recirculating) the day before so we just went on open circuit air until we got the doors of the first class foyer burned off. The Port side was only about 160'. We were on HeO2 when we penetrated the hull and inside the habitat — we couldn’t afford a support ship and a surface based diving system.

Akimbo, what kind of commercial diving were you doing on the Doria?

Commercial diving, hardly. More like a failed treasure hunt. As far as I know, the only commercial dive on the Doria, meaning someone was paying the day rate for contract diving services, was when Peter Gimbal hired Oceaneering several years later. In a strange coincidence, our company built two chambers for Oceaneering when we got into manufacturing sat diving systems; one was the main living chamber on the Gimbal dive.

To be honest, I believe the question has been asked before.
Wow, that's never happened before.:wink:

I'll cut-and-paste mine, that way any exaggeration will be consistent:

Last month in Cocos I was lucky enough to snorkel on the fringe (pretty far from the thick of it) of a huge baitball. We heard dolphins clicking towards the end of a dive and the skiff driver revved the engine to call us to the surface. A quick skiff ride and we were greeted by this:
cocos_baitball.jpg

We slid into the water in snorkeling gear (sorry, no camera) just as the dolphins were leaving, apparently sated. There were at least a hundred Silky sharks in the water, many a little too close for comfort, as well as some Blacktip and Galapagos sharks. Yellowfin tuna were buzzing us at high speed as they emerged from the bait. The divemaster said it would probably go on for hours. By far the best snorkel of my life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom