When to start the DM course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El-

I enjoyed reading this thread and the many thoughtful (and thought-provoking) replies. I'm currently teaching my first foursome of divemasters, under the tutelage of our shop's owner.

I can't say that I'm fully confident that I'm ready to deal with everything that can happen on a dive but I do feel that I can deal with the average disaster.
Some years ago the shop's owner asked me to move up to instructor status. I said I couldn't imagine asking a student to remove the regulator underwater. He said that only proved I was ready. Pehaps too glib a response on his part, but a healthy level of caution regarding your own abilities is I think a good thing. Keeps you learning, practicing. Keeps you watchful.

As for the why question, I see plenty of "experienced" divers who make an absolute mess of a divesite, So instead of just complaining about it, I prefer to try and do something about it.
Perhaps the best reason to go pro. I believe that a diver who is committed, hearfelt, to looking after divers and divesites and keeping both safe and growing, will naturally practice and develop the necessary skills and knowledge.

-Bryan

But, in my opinion, there's a difference between "level of skill to do the course" and "level of skill to BE a Divemaster"..

As is being discussed in the thread on instructor liability, when something bad happens, most juries will see the credential resulting from the DM course and will not accept the difference you suggest. I.e., once you get that DM card, if you're anywhere near a dive accident, you'll be treated by plaintiff's attorneys and most jurors as if you have the "level of skill to BE a Divemaster."

Ask yourself an other question....

WHY.:confused:
Do you want to Go Pro,or just collect an other card.

Good point. Most of the people I know who made the big decision to make a career out of diving, don't even dive anymore. Anything you HAVE to do to put a roof over your head and food on your table, you'll learn to resent.

What I know is that I'll be interning for eight to nine weeks over the summer, with 18 dives per week.

The system I was describing took 1-2 years. Candidates assisted with classes until the instructor thought they were ready to be evaluated, and handed them their folder with their evaluation forms. Whenever they felt ready to sit for the exam they told the instructor and he decided if they really were ready. If they lost the folder, they had to start with a new one. When everything was ready, they presented it to the instructor for final signatures and mailing off to the agency. No one got a folder until they were ready to reliably pull 5 out of 5 on evaluations, and everyone got 95% or better on the exam. Once you got your folder, you also got to buy gear at 25% off.

I've given it a some thought over the last few weeks and it's not something I will pursue in the foreseeable future.

The reason why is very simple: I do not feel that (based on my previous experience with the instructor who would be teaching me) I would be getting a quality course.

Of course, there are other instructors of whom I know that they'd be doing a much better job but currently I'm not sure that I want to change to those other clubs/LDSs.

So for now, it has been put on hold until I decide that I do want to commit the extra time/travel expenses etc. to go to that other shop. I'll revisit the issue when I'm on the other side of 500 dives (should be 2010 or so).

Back
Top Bottom