Which computer? Suggestions much appreciated.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just as an additional note
I have had 2, VEO 180 and both of them have had electrical problems. The first one I had bought and the second was a warrenty replacement. A friend of mine also has the 180 and she has problems with it also.

This is a quote from the thread at TheDecoStop.com that led me to the good deal on the Veo 180 in the first place. (It's in the Hot Deals section.)

Also a note, that same thread lists Deep Sea Supply's Uwatec Bottom Timer Mount as a bungie mount for it. My Veo 180 does not really fit it that well. Not surprising actually since the Uwatec and the Veo 180 are different.

I say go with a Gekko or Vytec, depending on the money you willing to spend. The Gekko is a reliable easy to use computer. Nitrox yes, and easy to read. I have an AI computer and would not have gone that way had I known what I know now. I use the gekko and believe me it is a great computer for the price. You can get him a boot mount and some bungee and away he goes all set to dive.

Wow - so many helpful responses. I really appreciate all of your help. I was so torn between buying one with wireless air tech bc he seems to like all that high tech stuff and they are really expensive, so I went with a BC. Don't kill me! His birthday is in March, so I will be buying a computer then and using all of your suggestions. I even printed out this whole thread, so thank you!

I went with a Seaquest Pro QD with i3 technology. After a lot of research on here, it seems like a great. And I agree with what a lot of you said - it is a hard thing to get for someone else and is a very personal decision. Fortunately, I got it from a place that allows returns and exchanges.

We are heading to Cozumel in May. Can't wait for him to try his new stuff and to dive Cozumel. Hear it's sick. Though, we went to Grand Caymans in September and not sure it can top it. We'll see.

Wow - so many helpful responses. I really appreciate all of your help. I was so torn between buying one with wireless air tech bc he seems to like all that high tech stuff and they are really expensive, so I went with a BC. Don't kill me! His birthday is in March, so I will be buying a computer then and using all of your suggestions. I even printed out this whole thread, so thank you!

I went with a Seaquest Pro QD with i3 technology. After a lot of research on here, it seems like a great. And I agree with what a lot of you said - it is a hard thing to get for someone else and is a very personal decision. Fortunately, I got it from a place that allows returns and exchanges.

We are heading to Cozumel in May. Can't wait for him to try his new stuff and to dive Cozumel. Hear it's sick. Though, we went to Grand Caymans in September and not sure it can top it. We'll see.

Lucky guy.... nice bc...got any single sisters...LMAO

Have a fun trip and take some pics for us!

Very cool video. Now I want to leave tomorrow! I saw a bunch of eagle rays in the Cayman's. One of the coolest things I have ever seen. Wonder if they have them in Cozumel.

There are definitely Eagle Rays in Cozumel (a lot of pretty large Spotted ones). I would say that rays in general are my "favorites", but I stopped using the word favorite after I realized I was constantly changing my mind.

I think you'll enjoy Cozumel as much as you enjoyed the Caymans. Unless you just enjoy a challenge, I wouldn't try to compare the 2 places. It would take a microscope to split those hairs. They're both great places to dive.

Just have fun!!!

I would go for the Cress Archimedes II. Easy to read, nitrox, simple, and inexpensive. It's not small enough to be worn as a watch like some of the others. I bought mine based on my LDS owner using one, and I like it enough that I got one for my wife.

I have to agree with you, specially on the "easy to read" part...:D

I think it was the best cost/benefit relation at the time I got it. Besides, you can replace the battery by yourself, without having to take it to a professional/diveshop.

Back
Top Bottom