Which computer? Suggestions much appreciated.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's something someone just recommended to me:

Audible ascent alarms are a useful thing. So is backlighting. Other people like a computer than can do 'gauge mode', which can be useful.

XXXXXX is selling the veo180 (which has all those features) for $170.00 if you get all the discounts on them. It's a wrist mount design.

(Edit: Got the site wrong. See below post.)

Last edited:

Audible ascent alarms are a useful thing. So is backlighting. Other people like a computer than can do 'gauge mode', which can be useful.

DiveRightInScuba is selling the veo180 (which has all those features) for $170.00 if you get all the discounts on them. It's a wrist mount design.

Wow! Sounds like an incredible deal :lotsalove:

DiveRightInScuba is selling the veo180 (which has all those features) for $170.00 if you get all the discounts on them. It's a wrist mount design.

Beanjones; I just came back from DiveRightInScuba. Searched for veo180. came back empty. I want one of those...
Help...bill

Nwoolever, I think your bf wants a Liquivision XI, or Shearwater Pursuit. At least I know that's what I want from my gf!

In all seriousness, consider a Cressi Archimedes II, or any of the "clones" from other manufacturers, such as the Tusa IQ700, the Zeagle N2ition, the DiveRite Nitek Duo etc. I use the Cressi and am quite happy with it. Large easy to read in the water, displays the pertinent information right on the main screen while in water. Plus it can handle 2 different nitrox mixes, and go into Gage mode, if your bf ever ends up getting a bit more serious about his diving.

Jim

I would recommend a SUUNTO if you can afford it. These are all nitrox computers.

I would also recommend that you always dive with nitrox. Then there is less DCS risk.

I would recommend against diving without nitrox and also against buying a non-nitrox computer.

Hi,I wish someone would be as thoughtful to me in buying a gift,I own and rely on a Sunnto Gekko,For the past eight years it is the best and most easy read computer I know,as the lads said nitrox compatable at the press of a button,by your question at the outset ye wont be doing any tc diving,so I would highly recommend the Sunnto Geeko,Merry Christmas and Safe Diving. Pat.

This might give you the options you are after in that price range - nitrox, backlight (which you can leave on continuously if you wish) audible, user replaceable batteries (2 AAA batteries) and wrist mount for $179.95 before your scubaboard discount.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresM2

Might be an option for you.

@Tortuga68: The Suunto Gekko is a nitrox-capable computer. Suunto marketing says that you cannot download dive profiles from the Gekko; however, there are ways to do this...use Google to find out how. AFAIK, the only difference between the Gekko and the Vyper is that the Vyper has a gauge mode. This would be useful for divers who might need to use it as a bottom timer. The Gekko is substantially cheaper than the Vyper

Thanks for the corection on the nitrox, my mistake

Re: gauge mode, your comments reminded me that someone recently posted that the Gekko does have gauge mode - you just have to get it bent first! (obviously not recommended)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom