Which computer to buy with Trimix in mind?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not choose a vr3 unless you try one first. They are not very user friendly, alot of guys are switching to other units.

Trident,
Just to clarify... you just want to hear about computers correct? There are quite a few divers I know that dive with a bottom timer and tables.

Thanks

Ben, the focus of this post was to learn about the differrent trimix computers. That certainly doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to learn more about bottom timers etc.
I am currently diving tables with gauges and timers.

Japan-diver, I really appreciate your response. Do you feel that VPM is the way to go? Do you know if the VPM shearwater will be limited to just that?

Troutmaster, I appreciate the insight about the VR3. To be honest I've really been looking more at the liquidvision and the shearwater.

Cheers, Walt

Ben, the focus of this post was to learn about the differrent trimix computers. That certainly doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to learn more about bottom timers etc.
I am currently diving tables with gauges and timers.

Japan-diver, I really appreciate your response. Do you feel that VPM is the way to go? Do you know if the VPM shearwater will be limited to just that?

Troutmaster, I appreciate the insight about the VR3. To be honest I've really been looking more at the liquidvision and the shearwater.

Cheers, Walt

I use both VPM and NAUI-GAP for planning - many of my students coming in for tech already have VPM so end up using that most of the time as it cuts tables very close to the NAUI - GAP RGBM tables so either one is fine. The only full RGBM computer I know of is the Hydrospace Engineering one and have not heard much about them recently although have dove one and have a few divers here that use one. If you are going to use a computer I believe that one should cut tables and run a computer that are on the same program VPM allows you to do this with some of the most tested computers on the market in tech diving.

Not sure on the VPM implementation on the Shearwater and how it will work.

I second the no VR3. Unless you want one cheap, they there are plenty to be had for $500 or so if OC trimix only. There is also the new Liquivision coming out sometime soon.

You know just to add another option to the mix :)

i would say the cochan computer with the three gass options. can program the dives on your pc and do the run and it will give the timing for change out.

I went through my trimix course and my rebreather course on a Scuba Pro Tec 2g, but now I'm saving my nickels and dimes up for the Shearwater. I did a lot of research for the different computers I could attach to my rebreather and it came down to the shearwater.The shearwater is a lovely piece of gear. It might be heavier and bigger then the X1 but it has a lot of features that are nice on it. For me I don't like tapping on the computer like you do with the X1. The Shearwater has a contact on the side that you touch to get the menus. The new firmware update has made a lot of nice changes to it. Also another nice thing about the shearwater something breaks it can be fixed. The X1 the whole thing is potted and sealed when made. Anything breaks, you are buying a new computer. Last year when the Predator came out people with purists were able to send theirs to the country rep and have the new OLED screen put in and upgraded to the predator firmware for a lot less then buying a new computer. If there is even the slightest chance you'll go rebreather. Spend the money get one with the fisher connector. You can unlock and update the software later for CCR. Also right now the R&D at Shearwater are working on putting VPM on the units. When it comes out the user will be able to choose between the two deco models. But do your research and if you can find a shop that you can touch and feel the different models you want to look at. It's a hard choice to make sometimes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom