Who carries an extra mask with them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today a vulture took off with my mask during SI. I wasn't even near my gear, Iw as chatting out of sight of it with a couple from Belgium. Some random person came over and asked if it was my gear and I said yes, they said "the vultures really like it....we just chased them away but they tried to take your mask!" I jogged over to the gear (other side of the building) and sure enough, there was dirt all over my gear on the table (vultures climbing over it) and my mask was on the ground several feet away. My buddies mask was on the ground but it had a snorkel on it, I think that kept them from taking it too far. There are multiple chunks missing fromthe skirt but it sort of worked so I dove with it anyway...but I couldn't help but think of the people that carry extras. I got lucky, if that other person hadn't happened by (the springs were pretty much deserted, that's why I didn't mind leaving my gear) the birds might have taken it completely away, or destroyed more of it.

I carry one in my dive bag but I have never dreamed of taking it down with me. Even if I lose it, I can surface without a mask.

Left thigh pocket on every dive.

Carribeandiver:
I carry one in my dive bag but I have never dreamed of taking it down with me. Even if I lose it, I can surface without a mask.

For those who dive in caves or penetrate wrecks, a backup mask is essential.

I would think for cave or wreck penetration it might be needed, but for rec diving I would just come up if there was an issue...Redundent for my diving anyway...

do it easy:
I'm shocked to see so many people keep it in their left side thigh pocket, which is exactly where I keep mine. :D

You will die if you keep it anywhere else. :rofl3:

Yes have an extra in BC extra mask pocket which will probably lead to my demise someday.

Back-up mask in an add-on pocket to my BC.... right next to the surface signal !!!

Loneranger:
I would think for cave or wreck penetration it might be needed, but for rec diving I would just come up if there was an issue...Redundent for my diving anyway...

Has anyone ever practiced comming up without a mask? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom