Why do my calves keep cramping with my fins on???Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend the Atomic Aquatics split-fin.. I spent about 4 months trying out every split fin I could find to demo. The Atomic splits were the best overall in my opinion, with the Oceanic V12's coming in second.. They are the two "most rigid" brand of splits that I've found.. Many fins had a real "loose/sloppy" feel to the propulsion. The Atomics also have the nicest buckle release mechanism that I've seen.. 4 out of 5 people that I've swapped fins with for a dive, have gone on to purchase the Atomics.. Good luck..

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I will definitely ask my instructor about different kicking styles on Monday, when we return to class, and I will also get some new fins. I just bought the basic Sea Quest Thruster fins at the LDS, (that's what they suggested for the starting class) but maybe they will let me exchange them for some split fins. And I guess I had better get to exercising those calf muscles more!! Thanks again!!

MB hit the nail on the head.
The cramps very likely indicate that you calves are not at present it the optimum physical condition. In short and in English - you are exercising muscles you did not exercise well before.

Bananas and other high potassium foods will help as well as hydration.

Changing to fins that are not as stiff may help in the short term.

This too will pass with a regular regimen of diving. I prescribe a dive a week minimum.

Not a doctor, just a half crazy (ok so my wife argues with the half part) diver.

Lulunew2scub:
Thanks everyone for the great advice! I will definitely ask my instructor about different kicking styles on Monday, when we return to class, and I will also get some new fins. I just bought the basic Sea Quest Thruster fins at the LDS, (that's what they suggested for the starting class) but maybe they will let me exchange them for some split fins. And I guess I had better get to exercising those calf muscles more!! Thanks again!!

At this stage of your diving career I would stick with learning different techniques and work on relaxing before buying any new gear. Once you get your muscle conditioned and you are more relaxed you may well find that your current fins will work just fine.

jbd:
At this stage of your diving career I would stick with learning different techniques and work on relaxing before buying any new gear. Once you get your muscle conditioned and you are more relaxed you may well find that your current fins will work just fine.

I'm in total agreement. The bat does not make the hitter. Learn good kicking technique first then apply the technique to new gear. Also, when you flutter kick, are you kicking from your knees or from your hips? Your thigh muscles are by far the strongest muscles in your legs. Try and use them as the main source of power, with the calf muscles being those who perform the proverbial "follow through."

Good luck with your certification. Let us know how it goes and remember you can always get good information here!!

Don't kick from your knees - use ure whole leg and kick from ur butt - :D

Just piping in to echo all the advice here, really, and to add a bit more, because I used to suffer from the same problem:

Make sure that you are very well-hydrated prior to every dive, and make sure you eat a well-balanced meal about three hours before you hit the water. Also make sure that your potassium and salt levels are healthy - having a banana or some gatorade before class is another good idea. As has been mentioned, do some stretching exercises before you get in the water - flex your ankles and calves, and make sure those muscles are nice and loose. (standing on a step and slowly stretching your heels downward, while keeping your toes on the step, works well for me.) If all else fails, you might try salt tablets. You can find them in any chemist's, and I've found them very handy in times past. I was wracked with cramps my first week of DMming - combination of being a bit out of shape, too busy to eat properly and dehydrated from being out in the heat all day. A salt tablet or two (with more water!) kept those nasty cramps at bay. Don't worry too much about your fins - as long as they fit properly, they're probably not to blame. Stay in shape and take care of your body, and your body will take care of you! Best of luck and happy diving ^_^

I have gotten both calf and foot cramps with every pair of fins I've tried in the past (I cannot remember a dive without foot/leg cramps) - I just accepted it as part of the game because I could not find fins that were large enough (my legs also cramp up very easily on dry land, no matter that they are in good shape from cycling and hiking) this week I traded in my easy kicking Aeris Velocity's (which were the best fitting pair I had found yet) for a pair of XXL SP Jet fins. (I have to wear my tennis shoes inside to get them to fit) both times I have used them my legs have been very tired at the end of my 1-2 hour swim, but no cramps yet. I do not yet have the muscle tone to make the most of them, but I was very surprised that I got no muscle cramps. I figure about 3-4 weeks of regular "laps" in them at the beach and my legs will be fine.

I am not saying they would work for you, just a caution to make sure your fins are not too tight on your feet - I am thrilled to have found a pair that did not cause my feet problems.

In addition to the above ideas:

Hydration, as already stated, is the next thing - it does not happen quickly - it can take several days to rehydrate properly but you can lose it very fast. (I have lost up to 20 lbs from water loss in a day, even with drinking 3 gallons of water, while hiking)

Calcium I have been told is also a consideration in keeping muscle cramps away (I knew Ice Cream was good for me - LOL)

Bananas are actually a low source of potassium, a V-8 has about the same as 3-4 bananas if I remember correctly and most "diet" shakes ie. slim-fast, etc would have a good source of both calcium and potassium. Pinto, Kidney Beans and Potato skins have a lot in them also (though a banana or V-8 are a lot easier to carry with ya to the beach)

when I know that I am dehydrated and can't do anything about it I'll take an asprin or two to help ward off muscle cramps. I learned this the hard way one day out hiking when I had simultaneous cramps in both calves, thighs, left shoulder blade and rib cage (from laughing so hard at my pathetic state) 2 asprin and I was able to continue back without too much trouble. - Might work before hand also (though I don't know what depth and compressed air might do - so best to check this one out with a doctor first)

That's my .02 cents worth of confusion.

I agree with all the above comments and will add that you are simply working too hard. Scuba is NOT meant to be exercise, its sightseeing. Take it easy relax, go slower. You will see more that way. Let the fish come to you, dont chase after them, they can always swim faster. You will use less air and have a longer bottom time.

Hey all, I just kinda surfed in to this thread, (because I had a NASTY cramp the other night during one of my confined dives..did the broken inflator/orally inflate at the surface skill, and cramped like a son of a 'b'...of course at the point where the reg was OUT of my mouth and I was trying to inflate! mmmm pool water taste yummy!)

I appreciate the tips and the link to the excersizes!

I've always had very "tight" leg muscles (mainly from my days of marching Drum and Bugle Corps) and can never seem to have those muscles relax as well as they should. I was gaining a LOT of confidence in the water until my cramps, now I'm a little discouraged, but ready to press on and get certified!

Thanks for the help so far!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom