Why do my calves keep cramping with my fins on???Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cramps can also be caused from fins or booties that are too tight...
Also speaking as a Neromuscular therapist(background) mightnt be a bad idea getting a good heavy massage into the legs and feet.

Just something that came to mind i thought I'd share. :wink:

Scuba_Freak

Changing fins would be crutch to help the problem not a fix. Most people are not properly hydrated and that is the main cause for cramps. You should be able to over work any muscle to the point where you can't even feel it and not get cramps if you are properly hydrated and have a good diet.

Lulunew2scub:
Hi Everyone, I am new to scuba and just finished my 2nd confined water dive tonight and can't figure out why my calves keep cramping when I'm swimming around underwater with fins on. I've never had this problem before and am wondering what I'm doing wrong! Help please!

Hi--i'm new to scuba too, but i snorkeled (and SNUBA'd) quite a bit and had the same problem. At the time, i rented then owned very stiff long fins. When i started scuba, i bought split fins, which are also much softer. That made all the difference to me (and i have very short legs). Also, that seems to happen if the straps are pulled too tight.

But I agree with other posters--it could be cramps are a result of dehydration.

Also, since you said you're on your second confined dive, you're probably doing a whole lot of swimming. I don't remember at what point I did the distance swim, but once you start doing non-training dives, you won't be kicking near as much. In training, its swim swim swim nonstop most of the time, but in real dives its more like Kick, look, kick, look.

Lulunew2scub:
Hi Everyone, I am new to scuba and just finished my 2nd confined water dive tonight and can't figure out why my calves keep cramping when I'm swimming around underwater with fins on. I've never had this problem before and am wondering what I'm doing wrong! Help please!

I found that my calves and/or feet cramp if my fin strap is too tight. I have to keep them on the loose side of snug or I still get that way. :06: I use the Apollo split fin.

Back
Top Bottom