Your thoughts on this mask with fog wipers

Do you think that idea could sell?

• Yes

• Nope

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps great as snorkel rentals.

I love that you're thinking.

Because I haven't got enough testing data for other depths. I'd love to see what the real max depth is but for now I want to be on the safe side.
I apologize for being obtuse. My (obtuse) point was that as a designer and manufacturer of a product, you should already fully understand the product and its intended use. I claim you should have known that depth is not an issue for scuba masks. Pressure differential issues can happen in very shallow water.

So this raises the question of what other issues are you not aware off? The first items on my (way too short) check list are:
- UV resistance
- chemical resistance / compatibility
- temperature performance (mostly from a storage perspective...)
and way down the list is allergens...

The effort in product design and ultimate manufacture is mostly about the mundane already invented stuff...

I'd just like to point out to those who haven't checked out the manufacturer/distributor website, that the price point for the mask is $20. That is a bargain, and probably worth a look (depending on other costs, like shipping). While I am sticking with my current mask-having finally found one that leaks minimally on my face-I am thinking of getting a fogbegone mask for the snorkelers in my family.

Last edited:
I apologize for being obtuse. My (obtuse) point was that as a designer and manufacturer of a product, you should already fully understand the product and its intended use. I claim you should have known that depth is not an issue for scuba masks. Pressure differential issues can happen in very shallow water.

So this raises the question of what other issues are you not aware off? The first items on my (way too short) check list are:
- UV resistance
- chemical resistance / compatibility
- temperature performance (mostly from a storage perspective...)
and way down the list is allergens...

The effort in product design and ultimate manufacture is mostly about the mundane already invented stuff...

I wouldn't offer people something without making sure it's safe.

Each mask is tested using a machine that applies pressure of 5 atm to all the assembled mask's components. So the assembled mask is supposed to withstand the specified pressure no matter what depth it occurs at. 5 atm is roughly 160 feet AFAIK. That being said, I agree that 160 feet is a depth where divers don't use these kinds of masks (because they have to use full face masks at such pressure). Technically the mask is supposed to withstand 5 atm, but I want to be on the safe side. I hope you understand that I'm being extra cautious with everything I specify about this product.

As for chemical resistance and compatibility the mask is made of 100% silicone, much like the majority of consumer grade diving masks. I doubt that the 100% silicone I use is any worse than the 100% silicone that the other manufacturers use. The temperature performance and allergens apply to this mask the same way that they apply to other diving masks, as we use the same materials.

I appreciate your questions as it shows that you have given this a thought.

[QUOTE="Fog Be Gone, post: 7708232, member: 476484"
..Each mask is tested using a machine that applies pressure of 5 atm to all the assembled mask's components...
I appreciate your questions as it shows that you have given this a thought.[/QUOTE]
Good stuff - thanks for letting us know you are also thinking about the fringe things.

In my earlier life as a computer geek I quickly became aware of the effects of UV rays when I tried to create wiring harnesses for some computer stuff on industrial trucks. UV was my first surprise. Brake fluid came later...

I wouldn't offer people something without making sure it's safe.

Each mask is tested using a machine that applies pressure of 5 atm to all the assembled mask's components. So the assembled mask is supposed to withstand the specified pressure no matter what depth it occurs at. 5 atm is roughly 160 feet AFAIK. That being said, I agree that 160 feet is a depth where divers don't use these kinds of masks (because they have to use full face masks at such pressure). Technically the mask is supposed to withstand 5 atm, but I want to be on the safe side. I hope you understand that I'm being extra cautious with everything I specify about this product.

As for chemical resistance and compatibility the mask is made of 100% silicone, much like the majority of consumer grade diving masks. I doubt that the 100% silicone I use is any worse than the 100% silicone that the other manufacturers use. The temperature performance and allergens apply to this mask the same way that they apply to other diving masks, as we use the same materials.

I appreciate your questions as it shows that you have given this a thought.

No mask ever would have to withstand 5 atm of differential pressure. I guess that most masks would break with such a differential pressure, and knowing how a mask is held against the diver's face, no way for 5 atm. I guess that with only 1 atm the diver eyes would start to turn red.
It's not true that divers diving beyond 160 feet MUST use FFM. As was mentioned before, before taking design decisions, please be informed and know about our sport.
If you are going to design a product for a specific activity, you should know exactly what's going on in that activity.

If you are going to design a product for a specific activity, you should know exactly what's going on in that activity.

It also helps to understand what causes the problem you're trying to solve. As in somehow we don't install wiper blades on the inside of the car windows, we just turn up the fan/heat.

Congratulations on your invention, but I would not be interested. Just like the camera mask (which sold but looked cumbersome), I think initially you would have sales and then they would fall off. There would be a number of them for sale on any used gear website.

I had to answer yes because there are over a dozen shopping channels on cable. People will buy anything that strikes their fancy, so you will make sales. Whether it will be your big payday, only time will tell.

It looks like an interesting solution to the problem, but one that I have a working procedure that solves it simply already.

Good Luck

Bob
--------------------
Inventors changed the face of the modern world, but not without failed attempts along the way.

I'd buy it. It's not just fog, sometimes I didn't clean the lens as well as I should have and there are water drops stuck to it in an annoying spot.

And I do a ton of swimming/snorkeling where masks fog 10 times as much because we take them off randomly. With scuba I put the mask only once. No amount of anti-fog replaces a bit of water to slosh around in my mask when snorkeling. So this would be excellent for the snorkeling crowd.

Go for it. Looks like a decent idea to me.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom