Technical diving? you're gonna die!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nereas:
I personally know of people who have died using a CCR. That is all I need to know.

I knew this guy who died in a car crash, so now I ride my bike everywhere. Much safer now. Should probably start wearing that helmet. Speaking of which, where IS that helmet? Maybe I left it in the closet by the front door...

Nereas, it is very apparent that you wish to be as safe as possible while enjoying the sport of scuba diving. From your posts, it also seems apparent that you wish to limit your diving to recreational diving.
That is fine, there is absolutely nothing wrong with diving to enjoy the spendor of a reef, beautifully colored fish, wrecks or just the feeling of weightlessness as you glide through the water.
Frankly, I enjoyed the reefs and sights of my recreational dives of the places I have been blessed enough to visit. I can understand how someone could be totally satisfied if his/her diving was limited to strictly that type of diving. But dont be fooled into thinking that is risk free. Dont think you have no chance of DCS or any of the other calamities that can happen to a scuba diving, including death.
Like you, I wish to be safe. As NWGrateful Bob put it in one of his posts, I want to make as many ascents as I make descents. I have chosen to take as much training as I can from the best instructors I can find. I want to learn about technical diving, cavern and cave diving and beyond. My yen to learn is not because I wish to swim 15,000 feet into a cave at 180 feet in depth but because I know if I have the knowledge and training to do those dives safely, I will be a better diver, safer for me and my teammates.
I am terrified of getting trapped in a cave with not enough gas to exit safely but I know that that fear can be overcome with knowledge and training.
Do not limit what you do by what you fear. Fear is ignorance. Ignorant of how to safely overcome that which scares you.
Good luck to you. I hope that one day you decide to venture beyond your comfort zone and take training that will open new avenues of wonder for you to enjoy.

nereas:
Fascinating! No fear of CCRs at all, in spite of obvious evidence to the contrary.

You need to be more candid in your communications about facts that refute your own beliefs.
Give me VERIFIABLE fatality data on CCR's.

In all honesty, CCR fatalities, like Technical OC fatalities, are big news. They seem disproportionate because of the smaller (and often more vocal) population. If you have concrete reasons why you believe a CCR is inherently more dangerous than OC, I would be happy to discuss them. Until you present those facts, however, saying that CCR is more dangerous than OC because you "know someone who died on a CCR" is an unwarranted generalization.

nereas:
I would say that concerning CCR tech diving, all of the above are true.

So if you stick with twin-tank open circuit tech diving, you will be quite safe, possibly even more safe than NDL divers. Get the proper training, from the right instructors, and your diving will actually improve with tech diving.

But steer clear of CCRs.

Oooh look...there's a puff of smoke coming from the grassy knoll.

Brian

As only a minority of the entire diving community have the required attitude and skills to safely do deco/cave dives (or dive a ccr) I think the cloud of fear and ignorance surrounding these activities is a good thing. It keeps inexperienced divers out of places they should not be.

BTW if you look at the recent CCR deaths you will see that many were preforming extremely deep and long dives. Comparing the risk of these dives to shallow recreational dives is misleading. When compared to similar deep dives using doubles the perceived higher risk of CCRs becomes hard to prove. Indeed they may actually be safer.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
As only a minority of the entire diving community have the required attitude and skills to safely do deco/cave dives (or dive a ccr) I think the cloud of fear and ignorance surrounding these activities is a good thing. It keeps inexperienced divers out of places they should not be.

BTW if you look at the recent CCR deaths you will see that many were preforming extremely deep and long dives. Comparing the risk of these dives to shallow recreational dives is misleading. When compared to similar deep dives using doubles the perceived higher risk of CCRs becomes hard to prove. Indeed they may actually be safer.

Cheers,
Rohan.
Agreed :)

Kimber:
And if one comes up and bites you in the *** and you get DCS or (God forbid) you die, know that you died doing something that you loved doing. You can't live in a box your whole life.

Dive safe!

Kimber

first off kimber, congrats on your recovery. i'm pretty new to the board and only recently heard of your accident. prayers from a diving family(youngest is 10).

i agree with "died doing something that you LOVED doing", somewhat.(stress the past tense of love) but, i know 2 people who were on the recent spiegel grove body recovery, and they said that these people did not love diving at the end.
as all can tell i'm only AOW (in rescue and nitrox currently, but not carded), i would still be interested in OC tech and CCR in the future.
i feel diving is like motor cycle riding...when you are no longer afraid, stop doing it. my dad almost got killed this way when he was not afraid anymore.

just my point of view..welcome all replies (even if you beat me up!!)

dano

SparticleBrane:
:hijack:
When I come to Seattle to dive with the PNW crew, you and I will get together to watch an F1 race.
...only if you root for Ferrari. :D :wink:

No, Mercedes.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom