Redesigning AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thread topic is "Redesigning AOW" and its sister thread "AOW=bs" obviously many people are not satisfied with this class.
Personally I intend to take it because I have to to get OWDI it will not matter to me if I learn nothing or lots it is a stepping stone, In fact in my situation it is to my advantage to have minimum dives, however when I do become a DI "

No, I am sorry but working the system so that you can become an instructor with the least amount of experience needed is just the wrong attitude, IMHO.

It may be in YOUR best interest, but certainly not in the best interests of your future students...:shakehead:

At the risk of being labeled here are my thoughts:
You need OW or else you cant get your tanks filled: I can get a boat, I can get all the gear i want, I can learn about deco by asking questions here on Scubaboard :D and I can dive deep. I can learn to use a reel all on my own dont need a class, I can learn to manage my buoyancy I can learn trim and about anything else I need when I need it.

--as a test lets see if I am close. say I dive to 200 feet, I stay 15 minutes (air), I come up to 120(nitrox um 34?) and hang for 10 min, 90ft 10 Min come up to 60 hang 10 min, up to 20 (64%?)and hang 20 min 10ft for 10min am I clear? assume I have the air SAC and I staged bottles I have 0 deep nitrox training, just what I learned in my Naui OW in 1982 and a few questions asked) And please stay with the spirit of this, I am not advocating diving deep with out training. before I really attempted it I would get real deco training.

So why would I take a class?, either it is because I do not have the confidence to learn on my own or because I want to accelerate the process, or maybe because there might be something that I did not know I needed to learn or maybe I am an egoist and need a badge.

Thread topic is "Redesigning AOW" and its sister thread "AOW=bs" obviously many people are not satisfied with this class.
Personally I intend to take it because I have to to get OWDI it will not matter to me if I learn nothing or lots it is a stepping stone, In fact in my situation it is to my advantage to have minimum dives, however when I do become a DI I plan to have dived to 200 ft at least once, been inside a wreck, and be fairly competent in UWphoto. I have no interest in ever going in a cave, or skydiving. So I would love it if the training in either AOW or DM included all that I need to safely accomplish all these tasks. I am not young and do not think that I can have it all in an instant, I think that AOW should be at least everything a sport diver needs to know to do all dives he might want to safely. and if there is no real content past being able to hang horizontal at 20 feet for 10 minutes then call it something else. how about "Experience Diving, everything we are sure you did not learn the first time"

It is because of this type of attitude that we have discussions like this one and others like it.(AOW=bs) Because TOO MANY have your same thinking. What type of service do you think you will be giving your students if you have taken all the short cuts yourself? Also, if your way of thinking was too be relayed on to your students you would have nobody to sustain your training courses.(who needs continuing ed.?) It takes TIME to become a competent instructor and a competent diver!!! Without it you will be just another sub par instructor.IMO

Joe

So why would I take a class?, either it is because I do not have the confidence to learn on my own or because I want to accelerate the process, or maybe because there might be something that I did not know I needed to learn or maybe I am an egoist and need a badge.
Often it's because it shortens the learning curve. If you opt to learn on your own, it should be with a mentor who can show you how to do things in ways that have been time-tested and proven to be effective. Otherwise, it will often be the case that you develop habits that will work for now, but prove to be an impediment as your diving progresses to higher levels ... in which case you have to "unlearn" them and learn a different approach. That method usually proves expensive and slow.

Personally I intend to take it because I have to to get OWDI it will not matter to me if I learn nothing or lots it is a stepping stone, In fact in my situation it is to my advantage to have minimum dives,
That approach is never advantageous. One of the most important things an instructor can bring to their students is context ... the ability to explain the concepts of the academics in a way that relates to what the students will actually be experiencing. The only way to develop that context is through diving. If your goal is to become an instructor, the more experience you can bring to the class with you the better.

however when I do become a DI I plan to have dived to 200 ft at least once, been inside a wreck, and be fairly competent in UWphoto. I have no interest in ever going in a cave, or skydiving. So I would love it if the training in either AOW or DM included all that I need to safely accomplish all these tasks.
AOW or DM training will not provide you with any of the above. In order to safely go to 200 feet you have to take some sort of technical training. This will focus on much ... MUCH ... more than simply decompression procedures. What will really cause you to struggle will be the task loading. In deep diving it will be performing the gas switches while dealing with buoyancy control and adhering to your schedule. For diving in a wreck there are safety protocols involved in selecting proper tie-offs, proper reel work, and knowing how to deal with silt-outs. Those are the MINIMAL things that you will only learn by diving ... and the correct protocols can only be learned by doing them either with an instructor or a mentor who's willing to work with you. AOW and DM won't even touch those topics ... rightfully so as they deal primarily with the protocols of recreational diving. And the skills you learn in those classes will only serve as a stepping-off point for the skills necessary to conduct deep dives and wreck dives safely ... you need to develop those skills well beyond anything that's required to be even an excellent sport diver.

As for photography, the key to good picture taking is excellent buoyancy control ... and that only comes with practice. The more dives you have, the better you'll get at it.

There ARE no short-cuts.

I am not young and do not think that I can have it all in an instant, I think that AOW should be at least everything a sport diver needs to know to do all dives he might want to safely. and if there is no real content past being able to hang horizontal at 20 feet for 10 minutes then call it something else. how about "Experience Diving, everything we are sure you did not learn the first time"
But going to 200 feet and diving inside a wreck are NOT things that a sport diver needs to know ... in fact, I believe that teaching these things at the sport level would be inherently dangerous because of the difference in mentality between sport diving and technical diving. Tech divers simply do not attempt to seek short-cuts in their training, and spend endless hours training for contingencies and emergencies to assure they'll be prepared to deal with them. The vast majority of sport divers would have no interest in putting in the necessary effort to do those types of dives safely. For that reason, they should not be offered training that will only provide a false sense of security ... because at 200 feet even the smallest mistakes can be fatal if not dealt with promptly and properly.

Tech training and sport training are not at all the same thing ... nor should they be.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

--as a test lets see if I am close. say I dive to 200 feet, I stay 15 minutes (air), I come up to 120(nitrox um 34?) and hang for 10 min, 90ft 10 Min come up to 60 hang 10 min, up to 20 (64%?)and hang 20 min 10ft for 10min am I clear? assume I have the air SAC and I staged bottles I have 0 deep nitrox training, just what I learned in my Naui OW in 1982 and a few questions asked)

Not enough info to say whether you pass or not....you didn't say whether there's a chamber on site for you to hop in as soon as you get out of the water. If so, then you pass.

I'm still interested in the gear. I mean heck, even just average regs work well as staging regs. and the other gear may bring a buck or two on ebay. you don't have too tell anyone that someone died in the gear do you?

AOW is about 'tasting' new activities in diving, building on experience and spending a few more dives under safe supervision. I can't understand why some people want to redesign it as some sort of 'super diving' advanced course...it isn't and never can be.

People should accept AOW for what it is and then concentrate on building their skills and experience gradually and progressively. Use the AOW course to investigate areas that you may want to spend further time (and money) on at a later date.

Yes, buoyancy is a key skill....but it should be 'mastered' on an OW course. If you want to be really good, then find yourself a better instructor - preferably someone who is tech trained, as I don't know many 'normal' instructors who can 'hold stops' with perfect trim and buoyancy etc etc.

on various frenck speaking forums, we have also discussions on differences between "schools", standards, equivalences, gateways, and a lot of people think PADI is superior to CMAS, or the other.
Your posts show me there is no equivalence between an AOWD and a CMAS** diver.
Of course, experiences and the number and conditions of dives influence.

Look at the CMAS standard, for those who don't know them
http://www.cmas.org/send.asp?idDoc=894&lg=UK
http://www.cmas.org/send.asp?idDoc=973&lg=UK

I don't claim it's superior, it's different

Pretty much every agency adheres to the Recreational Scuba Training Council (RSTC) standards for the conduct of diving courses. This means that virtually every agency meets the minimum standards for any course - allowing common standards to be equated between agencies.

I believe that CMAS and BSAC aren't members of the RSTC, but they are still governed by the new International Standards Organisation (ISO) guidelines on scuba diving courses.

Thus, any second level course (PADI AOW, SSI Advanced Adventurer, BSAC Sports Diver, CMAS 2* etc) must meet the same minimum requirement. There is nothing to stop any agency adding more training - it just has to meet the minimum.

Agencies, such as PADI and SSI do meet that minimum, but they also prefer to break their courses into a smaller, more module structure - allowing students to choose what is both relevant and essential for their personal diving development. The PADI AOW course meets the ISO and RSTC standards, whilst providing an opportunity for the student to sample future diving activities. CMAS may prefer to lump more stuff straight into the single course...which may be appropriate for the fact that they are not truly a 'worldwide' agency and have to concentrate specifically on European diving conditions.

have to concentrate specifically on European diving conditions.
do you think there is some difference in European diving conditions and the rest of the world ?
we have cold and hot water, dark and cold quarries (quarry ?), stream or not, wrecks, caverns, wet and dry suits, visibility or not, and so on.

which difference ?

None really....but I was speaking generally. In GENERAL, French diving (and certainly Channel diving) is low viz, drysuit diving. You need to deploy DSMBs etc etc There are impacts on diving courses by European legislation etc These differences are covered by more in-depth training courses run by agencies that are centred in Europe. For the worldwide 'conglomerate' agencies, they are covered by the option to add further courses to supplement any skills (low viz, drysuit, dsmb, drift etc) that are required by the diver and/or the environment.

Back
Top Bottom