POLL: What was your first dive computer and would you buy it again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first computer was a US Divers Monitor (circa 1990). I would not buy it again as they don't make it anymore and it does not have user changeable batteries.
$_1.JPG

I still have it and it works fine. I use it for water that I don't want to put my other computers in like a very alkaline quarry or the swimming pool.

U.S. Diver's Monitor 1. Still use it. Brass Anchor Scuba in Maryland replaced the battery, tested it, and brought it back to life.

It is simple, Swiss made, easy to read, and conservative. My dive buddy touted his newish Suunto as conservative, but on a deep dive the Monitor 1 proved to be slightly more so.

Hi everyone!

I've always had such great luck with gracious, helpful people here on the boards, that I hope I can gain your expertise once more :)

I am utterly new and therefore highly uneducated to scuba. I'm currently in the middle of getting certified and I'm starting to look at equipment to pick up for my own set up. Of course a dive computer is at the top of my list of things to get.

So! If you would be so kind to indulge me, can you please tell me:

1. What was your first dive computer? (brand/model)
2. Would you have bought it again as your first?

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and read. Your responses will be much appreciated!

Cheers and happy diving,

Cathy

Veo wrist mount. Just got Zoop and like it too. Easy to read and fairly simple. Would buy again.

1st computer: Oceanic Veo 2.0 wrist mount. really liked it, ~ 200 dives.
Would buy again as a new diver.

Sons 1st: Zoop. No backlight. No free dive mode. So would not buy again.

Both of us bought Petrel 2's this summer. Would buy again.

Mine was an Aladin Pro in 1990. I'm still using it as part of my shop's hire gear, so yes - would certainly buy it again. It was this computer that prompted my latest one - same brand - Uwatech - but a little more advanced - a Galileo SOL. I absolutely love it!

Uwatec Aladin wrist--no, I would not get this one again. There were recalls and when the first one died, it was replaced by Scubapro. It died on the first dive and was replaced a second time. The third one lasted four years then lost it's mind on a dive and screamed the entire dive before the screen went black on the surface.

Replaced that with the Aladin Tec 3G. The left button stopped working after two years making it unsafe to dive with as I couldn't monitor my depth.

Currently diving with a Scubapro Chromis which is ok but I would not purchase a wristwatch style computer again, that said, I am waiting for my Shearwater Perdix to arrive this week. It's in the mail and I'm eager to take it on a dive.

I like having a non-air integrated computer that I wear on my wrist.

Suunto D4i. Good computer but the display is small and not easy to read in the murky dutch waters. I now dive a Shearwater Petrel with bright display. Would I buy the Suunto again: no, not what I know now but it's not the fault of the computer.

I believe it was an Oceanic Prodigy, purchased in ~1989/90. It was a great little computer but did not support Nitrox. Currently have Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1. Yes I would buy this one again. I really like the Oceanic line of computers for rec diving.

My first computer was the Mares Puck Pro. I still have it and it serves as a back up to my Shearwater Petrel 2. I would certainly buy it again and recommend it to anyone looking for a decent entry level, nitrox capable computer. Very simple to operate, though admittedly not as intuitive as the Petrel. It has a user changeable battery and also handles multi gas nitrox mixes. That being said, if I were starting over and knew what I knew now, I would just save up more coin for the Petrel 2 or Perdix.

ORCA Edge-Instructor model I still have it! It was good for at least 2# of ballast. Worked well, ate lithium 9 volt batteries and non-downloadable. But it certainly opened the world up to a different style of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom