Latent organizational weakness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Craig,

I enjoyed communicating with you and others on your thread. Good luck retraining your buddy. Good luck changing the dive industry.

cheers,
markm

Haha...highly unlikely I will change the dive industry. Alot of good posts and opinions on this subject. And nice chatting with you as well.

Repetition is important. I was just re-reading some of the posts about taking a few breaths off the reg before jumping in.
I don't do this on 98% of my dives because I walk in, and conditions are always that if I forgot to turn my air on or something else is amiss, I can walk out. But, this and other aspects of dropping down to 80-100' from a boat are things I have to think about quite a bit since I may do that once every year or two. You wouldn't figure that with my number of dives. Repetition.
Diving solo, there is also no buddy check, but I do know BWRAF...…. Actually, if diving solo you can still do a buddy check if you like. Just BWRAF yourself.

I would suggest testing out how open your valve has to be in order for the needle to move. I found that I had to have it only a crack open. A quarter turn and the needle didn’t budge.
All true. And you can breathe off it and inflate your BCD without a problem. And you will have time to figure out a problem before there is no air to breathe.

All true. And you can breathe off it and inflate your BCD without a problem. And you will have time to figure out a problem before there is no air to breathe.
I met a diver at a site who was complaining about his reg not working at depth. It was fine, he just didn't fully open his valve. I'm not sure how closed it was, as I just opened it and kept going. Oops! Always check!

I met a diver at a site who was complaining about his reg not working at depth. It was fine, he just didn't fully open his valve. I'm not sure how closed it was, as I just opened it and kept going. Oops! Always check!
We are kind of religious about test breathing before getting in the water. If we are walking in we test breathe and at least have the reg in our hands. It would be embarrassing to die at Sund Rock in two feet of water, but not impossible.

A good thread.

I was teaching a couple of weeks ago an intermediate course (BSAC Sports Diver).
During the discussion. I reminded them there are two things you should be absolutely sure of before you step off the boat (quay/beach).
1. You can breath.
2. You can make yourself buoyant.

Failing to confirm those to things is unforgivable.

Before I do a buddy check with a buddy, I have already done a personal buddy check.
With regular buddies, it is not unknown if we are badly positioned on the boat that a face to face buddy check may not be done. But we all do personal buddy checks. The last thing that we always do before we step up to the gate, is ask, "gas on? buoyancy ok?"

The flicking needle thing, I teach. However, you need to have the cylinder valve almost closed. i.e 1/4 turn open (rather than fully open and a 1/4 back).
I've been caught myself, on a holiday charter boat. A deck hand turned my cylinder off, then back a half turn, after I had done the full buddy check whilst we where standing on the back of the boat waiting to enter. I think he was so used to turning the cylinders on for customers. I don't like people fiddling with my kit at the best of times. As I descended I was immediately aware of the restricting gas flow. I just pulled the set up my back and fully opened the valve, no problem.

Gareth

there are two things you should be absolutely sure of before you step off the boat (quay/beach).
1. You can breath.
2. You can make yourself buoyant.

Failing to confirm those to things is unforgivable.
Ay-men!

Sorry. I just wanted to quote this to keep it for posterity. AKA Quoted For Truth.

What are your opinions? Or am I being over cautious?

Tell him to find someone willing to die for him to be his buddy.

No diver is perfect perfect, but many are really, really good and most at least have their own self interest at heart and middling concern for your life too. That breeds some basic behaviour conducive to safety of the pair or group.

I make mistakes, others point them out, I improve (yeah, slowly).

Your guy seems to be entirely negligent and not even mildly interested in safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom