Travel BP&W Setup $500 budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a lot of people are praising piranha webbing for the harness

I'd suggest taking a look at Deep 6: Deep 6 Single Tank Backplate and Wing Package, starting at $400. Backed by a great company run by two highly ethical people, @cerich and @LandonL

I've checked out deep 6 already they're on my short list but a few of their items are out of stock. I built a decked out rig on their site and it's closer to $600 but that includes ditchable weight pockets and trim pockets. That is a pretty great price compared to others I've seen. Have you used their setup with the coated webbing? I'm curious about the coated webbing, if it will let water in at all and how it feels when wearing?

I've checked out deep 6 already they're on my short list but a few of their items are out of stock. I built a decked out rig on their site and it's closer to $600 but that includes ditchable weight pockets and trim pockets. That is a pretty great price compared to others I've seen. Have you used their setup with the coated webbing? I'm curious about the coated webbing, if it will let water in at all and how it feels when wearing?
Josh,

I've standardized on the Deep 6 BP/W for my upcoming OW courses. Wife and I just had a baby girl, so not getting much time in the water. Also, I want to create a skills demo video to provide to students on what to expect prior to starting with me.

I like the coated webbing as I think over time it will hold up nicer than webbing. It appears to not let water to penetrate. In my dry suit and thick undergarment, I don't notice anything in particular about it.

I do not have the ditchable pockets, but rather using rubber weight belts (looking to get a new set), as I trim out really nicely in salt water with the Eddy fins, BP/W, weight belt, and some trim pockets on the lower band.

Now full disclosure, I am an associate, but I've jumped on board as this company supports the niche that I will need in the future: small dive op owner.

What items are out of stock that you'd like?

I have the Deep Six with the AL plate and 20 LB wing. Unless you are diving steel tanks I would go with the steel plate, just less weight to add on, depends on how much weight you use now. Using the AL plate I use about the same amount of lead I did with my Zeagle Brigade. When I ordered it I got a great deal on the kit and it came with an STA which I have never used. This is the only BPW I have used so I can not compare but I do like the webbing. It does stay dry, It sticks too a wet suite so it is a little harder to slip off sometimes. If you put it on twisted over your shoulder it does dig some. I used it with just a T-shirt often and it is comfortable. When I dive with AL tanks I put a couple weight pockets on the bottom tank bands for up to 8 LBs and if I need more weight I use a belt for the extra. I would skip the weight pockets unless you are needing a bunch of lead.

Josh,

I've standardized on the Deep 6 BP/W for my upcoming OW courses. Wife and I just had a baby girl, so not getting much time in the water. Also, I want to create a skills demo video to provide to students on what to expect prior to starting with me.

I like the coated webbing as I think over time it will hold up nicer than webbing. It appears to not let water to penetrate. In my dry suit and thick undergarment, I don't notice anything in particular about it.

I do not have the ditchable pockets, but rather using rubber weight belts (looking to get a new set), as I trim out really nicely in salt water with the Eddy fins, BP/W, weight belt, and some trim pockets on the lower band.

Now full disclosure, I am an associate, but I've jumped on board as this company supports the niche that I will need in the future: small dive op owner.

Good disclosure, thanks very much.

Josh,

The trim pockets and 30lb wing are out of stock. I think I need the 30lb wing because I will sometimes be diving Bonne Terre mines, 56 degree water, with 7 mill suit and hood. I pack on about 20lbs of lead when I dive there. So, I'm assuming the AL plate to save weight for travel. That also means I'll need to add a little more weight to make up for the plate weight difference but I won't have to fly with extra weight. Sorry wordy. So, 30lb wing AL plate for travel and diving locally in cold water is what I'm going for. I guess my only other question is, are the weight pouches better when diving cold or can trim pockets and weight belt comfortably get me to 20lbs of lead?

I guess my only other question is, are the weight pouches better when diving cold or can trim pockets and weight belt comfortably get me to 20lbs of lead?
While I don't use the deep 6 trim pockets, but some small generic ebay ones that I can't imagine are any bigger, I can easily get a 3 lbs weight into each trim pocket. That puts 12 lbs on the tank alone. 8 lbs on a weight belt is easy.

The other option to consider is you can get a p-weight to attach to the plate. I have a 6-7 lbs one I cast for my Al plate for when I'm diving in cold water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom