Travel BP&W Setup $500 budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use four trim pockets on my setup - each holds up to 5 pounds for cold water diving (if I don’t like the balance, I can easily move any of the trim pockets to the waist strap or stick them on a belt, etc) - so far I haven’t had balance issues but some divers tend to roll belly up.
I am using 2x Aqualung and 2x Mares because that’s what I had access to (we already had a couple and my LDS had the others for a good price).

So that covers 20 pounds. I have an aluminum plate (for travel) and a single tank adaptor in the super rare case of needing more weight.

Though I have done it multiple times, traveling (as in airline travel) with a hard plate is a PITA
Interesting you have trouble with it. I travel with mine quite often and find it incredibly easy. I use an Al plate and it goes very nicely as the last thing in my carry on, adding a nice hard outer layer for protecting the contents of my bag. Significantly easier than traveling with my wife's zeagle stilleto.

Never had a problem packing my aluminum plate, but it seems to be an invitation for TSA inspection.

Never had a problem packing my aluminum plate, but it seems to be an invitation for TSA inspection.

During my open water, my instructor told me to label whatever bag my bc was in, life support equipment. He says that more than once when he arrived at a destination his or his wife's bladders had leaks. Upon inspection they were tiny pin holes. His assumptions were, that they were probing around with something at TSA and punctured them. Anyone ever hear of this or label their kit this way?

I worked in the airport bag room for a few years and went up to the TSA inspection area many times looking for late bags. I never saw TSA agents using any kind of probe, and surprisingly, they were always acting in a careful and respectful manner when going through bags.

I use four trim pockets on my setup - each holds up to 5 pounds for cold water diving (if I don’t like the balance, I can easily move any of the trim pockets to the waist strap or stick them on a belt, etc) - so far I haven’t had balance issues but some divers tend to roll belly up.
I am using 2x Aqualung and 2x Mares because that’s what I had access to (we already had a couple and my LDS had the others for a good price).

So that covers 20 pounds. I have an aluminum plate (for travel) and a single tank adaptor in the super rare case of needing more weight.

Don't you worry that if there is an issue with your bladder you won't be able to drop weight and become positive?

I worked in the airport bag room for a few years and went up to the TSA inspection area many times looking for late bags. I never saw TSA agents using any kind of probe, and surprisingly, they were always acting in a careful and respectful manner when going through bags.

Good to know. It obviously could have been a coincidence with his issues and travel. Thank you for the reply

All the electronics and camera equipment in my bag already arouses TSA interest - I pack my bags (especially my carry-on) for easy inspection.
I get a bit of amusement out of it all by putting underwear front and center in the carry-on so it pops out like a jack-in-the-box.

Interesting you have trouble with it. I travel with mine quite often and find it incredibly easy. I use an Al plate and it goes very nicely as the last thing in my carry on, adding a nice hard outer layer for protecting the contents of my bag. Significantly easier than traveling with my wife's zeagle stilleto.
Same. The BP goes inside my backpack, I just remove it when going through security. Slides right back in. Then I put my regs back inside my pack. I can't fathom what the issue would be to categorize it as a PITA.

The only "pain" is that I break down my BP/w for travel. I just mark the harness where all the triglides go though, so it goes back together super easy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom