Travel BP&W Setup $500 budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few comments as to why I said traveling with a backplate was a PITA (besides the extra weight). Between lights, cameras, and computers I ain't carrying the damn thing on the plane. So like others I put them (with the harness intact but sans wing, tanks straps, etc) into a duffle. That is not any big deal. But they are rigid. One person noted punctures in their bladder. I bet because the bag was dropped and the plate was on top of it causing a pinch. We pack the plates with the flippers :) and the wings in another bag. Also TSA and the like frequently open the bags because of the all the metal. And while it is nice to only add a few pounds of lead in trim pockets with a backplate adding six more ain't going to be a deal breaker.

All the electronics and camera equipment in my bag already arouses TSA interest - I pack my bags (especially my carry-on) for easy inspection.
I get a bit of amusement out of it all by putting underwear front and center in the carry-on so it pops out like a jack-in-the-box.
All the electronics and camera equipment in my bag already arouses TSA interest - I pack my bags (especially my carry-on) for easy inspection.
I get a bit of amusement out of it all by putting underwear front and center in the carry-on so it pops out like a jack-in-the-box.

You want to freak them out? Put a couple of pounds of sea pearl bag lead weights in your carry on.
I used to put them in my checked bag but they wound rampaging through it trying to figure out what it was.

The only "pain" is that I break down my BP/w for travel. I just mark the harness where all the triglides go though, so it goes back together super easy
I never remove the harness. Just the wing which I fold up carefully.

A few comments as to why I said traveling with a backplate was a PITA (besides the extra weight). Between lights, cameras, and computers I ain't carrying the damn thing on the plane. So like others I put them (with the harness intact but sans wing, tanks straps, etc) into a duffle. That is not any big deal. But they are rigid. One person noted punctures in their bladder. I bet because the bag was dropped and the plate was on top of it causing a pinch. We pack the plates with the flippers :) and the wings in another bag. Also TSA and the like frequently open the bags because of the all the metal. And while it is nice to only add a few pounds of lead in trim pockets with a backplate adding six more ain't going to be a deal breaker.

Okay, yeah traveling with uw camera gear is a PITA. That's why I downsized from FF to 4/3rds. I pulled a stunt where I was weigh overweight, placing my backpack (the heavier of my carry ons) next to some guy sleeping, checked in, and was on my way. Now I was lucky, the airport was quiet (I checked in at 4 am) and I could keep an eye on my bag. I felt eventually that was going to catch up with me.

So downsized the camera, but also went to sidemount. Less weight, but bulkier harness.

The only "pain" is that I break down my BP/w for travel. I just mark the harness where all the triglides go though, so it goes back together super easy

So you take your plate in a carry on? I was only going to carry on my mask computer and regs. How do you folks recommend packing for travel?

Has anyone had any experience with the Xdeep ghost or Zen bp&w setup?
I've had both. What exactly is your question? I prefer the Zen for single tank cold water diving and the Ghost for travel. But if I remember correctly, the Ghost has over 30 pounds of lift, so it should work fine in cold water. Just with the milled out bp, you have to add a fair bit more weight.

You want to freak them out? Put a couple of pounds of sea pearl bag lead weights in your carry on.
I used to put them in my checked bag but they wound rampaging through it trying to figure out what it was.

Don't try it with clip-on bullet weights, though: you may miss your flight while they're trying to figure out whether they're weapons or not.

I've had both. What exactly is your question? I prefer the Zen for single tank cold water diving and the Ghost for travel. But if I remember correctly, the Ghost has over 30 pounds of lift, so it should work fine in cold water. Just with the milled out bp, you have to add a fair bit more weight.

I assumed they would require a little more weight with those backplates. What are your overall thoughts on them? Fit, finish, quality, comfort etc. They are also on my short list though more expensive. I was leaning towards the zen to fill both of my needs and to add the ability to dive twin sets in the future. The ghost won't accommodate twins correct?

I assumed they would require a little more weight with those backplates. What are your overall thoughts on them? Fit, finish, quality, comfort etc. They are also on my short list though more expensive. I was leaning towards the zen to fill both of my needs and to add the ability to dive twin sets in the future. The ghost won't accommodate twins correct?

Xdeep also makes very good gear. I bought the high end wings which were pretty heavy duty.

The ghost will not accommodate twins. In general, a backplate is a backplate, but the differentiating factor is time on the machine getting milled out. I was quite impressed with the Deep 6 finish. Smooth edges all around and a really nice looking finish that stands out.

Just note, whichever route you go, you'll need a different wing for doubles than you have for a single tank. And you can also mix and match backplates, wings, and harnesses (though some exception with the ghost).

I hope I answered your question.

Edit: and I try to take as much gear in carry on, as I've had luggage lost. Certain things I'm okay with renting (fins), but mask, regs, dive computer, SM harness (was BP/W), camera gear, definitely carry on.

So you take your plate in a carry on? I was only going to carry on my mask computer and regs. How do you folks recommend packing for travel?
I'm headed internationally in two weeks. In my roll on carry on is my BP/w, reg set, masks, computer, damn, etc with room for a few changes of clothes. In my personal item goes my camera/strobes.

Dive knife and fins go in my checked bag.

Back
Top Bottom