Covid testing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not at all - I've never gotten a flu shot because pounding on wood, I don't get the flu, I rarely get much more than the common cold although vertigo one year kicked my ass. I'm 54 and have worked outdoors in all weather for the over 20 years but Covid isn't the flu... Will it pass into history and not be around in a year or two?

The other version is I hate freakin needles and doctors and despise the thought of something from China or Russia being injected in me..... Can I ride this out a year and be OK? I live a life of solitude in paradise LOL....
Understand, vaccinations are more a public health matter than they are for the protection of individuals. When someone refuses to get vaccinated they are risking more than their own health. As a matter of fact, their own health isn't really the point. From the individual's point of view the ideal thing would be for everyone else to get vaccinated so they don't have to, but if everyone did that... do the math.

Come on Chuck, fess up...you faint at the sights of needles:wink:

J&J vaccines only require a single shot :wink:

Polio, measels and what not - did those diseases just ween out over long periods of time because everyone was vaccinated? I think we still hear of small outbreaks or am I mistaken?

Yes, neither has been eradicated. There is an ongoing effort underway to eradicate polio from the face of the Earth, but that is very hard to do. Measles is extremely contagious, much more so than COVID-19. From this article in Popular Science: "Measles is a champion disease in this respect. Its R0 is usually cited between 12 and 18, meaning each person with measles infects between 12 and 18 new people in an unvaccinated population. In the era before widespread vaccination, measles could easily sicken an entire school’s worth of children. Vaccinate your kids!"

I'm 54 and have worked outdoors in all weather for the over 20 years but Covid isn't the flu... Will it pass into history and not be around in a year or two?

It'll still be around. We've got the homeless, people living in poverty, illegal immigrants keeping a low profile, anti-vaxxers, some special interest groups and then there's the risk of it coming back from other nations (e.g.: 'developing' nations with masses of poor people with little health care).

Not at all - I've never gotten a flu shot because pounding on wood, I don't get the flu
Me 2 and I've been shamed here for such attitude. However, there is evidence that countries with high flu vaccination rate (IVR) also have very high COVID-19 case fatality rate (CFR); in fact, in one study IVR had a stronger effect on CFR than population density, percentage of elderly people, degree of urbanization, mask laws enforcement and lockdowns. So I will pass again.
The other version is I hate freakin needles and doctors and despise the thought of something from China or Russia being injected in me..... Can I ride this out a year and be OK? I live a life of solitude in paradise LOL....
70% of all medications used in the USA are already either made in China or India, or have their critical precursors or components made in China or India. As for Russia, I'd rather take a shot of their Sputnik V than Pfizer or Moderna RNA vaccines.

I have always heard that European explorers brought smallpox to the western hemisphere. It seems unlikely to me that anyone with an active case of smallpox would have survived the voyage so there must have been latent carriers aboard.

It's interesting that smallpox showed up, not for the first time, in Boston during George Washington's time as general of the Continental Army. Having had smallpox himself and recovering from it from a time he had traveled to Barbados, he had an immunity that the majority of his troops did not have. The British on the other hand, had herd immunity as smallpox had been around in England and many soldiers had developed immunity because they were infected as children. I think it's interesting how Washington took steps that are similar to what is being recommended today with COVID.

Smallpox was spread similarly to COVID - droplets in the air from person to person. Camps were crowded and unsanitary. Washington quarantined those showing symptoms and kept outsiders away from his troops - same thing we do today. Still as new recruits came in they were exposed. The British also, reportedly, sent infected persons outside of Boston to infect revolutionaries.

Vaccinations (unlike todays vaccinations - not a needle) were around, but that meant that soldiers getting the shot would become ill with smallpox and George was afraid it would lead to an epidemic within his troops, so he stayed with quarantining which worked for awhile.

Eventually, as smallpox continued devastating the troops, George had the choice of continuing to quarantine soldiers, which he needed healthy, or vaccinate them - he ordered vaccinations to all soldiers who had never had smallpox. Similar to today, he was trying to reach herd immunity within the troops. Some historians consider the move to vaccinate his army and all new recruits a deciding factor in winning the war.

Of course today, smallpox is no longer around. Will that one day be a possibility with COVID? Maybe not, as has been discussed in many of the SB threads, but can we control it if people do their part?

Interesting stuff!! Maybe we need the ghost of George to order vaccinations, quarantines, wearing masks, etc.....

Why are we SO OFF TRACK AGAIN!! This thread was started about testing on the island of Cozumel. Many of us have plans to travel to Cozumel. My group is planning to arrive in Coz February 19th, we don't want to cancel our plans. I love the island and the people of the area. We want a vacation and want to help their economy at the same time. I personally plan to tip about twice as much as usual. What we want to know is how the testing is going, so we can get home after our vacation.

I've heard nothing bad at all - resorts, testing places and the airport are making it as simple as possible. Two potential issues that have happened is if the rule says 72 hours before your flight - that's the rule, 75 hours is a stay on the island and get re tested penalty. The other issue is the way they were putting birthdates on the result document - they weren't matching passports or something - only heard of a few people affected but make sure everything matches your passport to avoid problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom