1" or 1 1/4" Straps on BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anyone using narrower (than standard 2") webbing on a harness? I've been whittling away at mine trying to make it as compact as possible and now I'm wondering if I could be happy with narrower straps. All of the backplates I've looked at have 2" slots for the shoulder and waist straps. Even the oldest backpack I have from the 50s or 60s with cloth straps was still 2". As some of you may know I'm imagining being able to get my BP/W in my carry-on and skip the checked bag. Perhaps the answer would be to get rid of my under-the-seat backpack (non-scuba kind of backpack) and remove the wing and have a easy-to-attach bag and stick it under the airplane seat instead of what I've been using. Just the wing without the rest of the backplate and harness shouldn't take up much room in my luggage. I can't think of any airline regulations that say I can't put a SS backplate under the seat.

How much room do you think you'll save by using a narrower piece of webbing for the harness?

My favorite feature of a backplate is stability. It doesn't shift the way jacket BCs do. If you use narrower straps you may be inviting unnecessary movement.

I am in agreement with the comments above for the reasons they state. Perhaps a softer strap would be easier to store, but also give the more secure feeling. Some of the webbing I have gotten is like steel banding and yet there is some that is a joy to work with but softer.The other thing that would make a smaller width not so good is comfort. If you attach a steel tank on the back the narrower web would to me, be uncomfortable on my shoulders. This however is just my $.05 (used to be $.02 , but has been adjusted for inflation).

be careful going to narrow webbing. The webbing is more than strong enough to carry everything, but part of the reason for the 2" is to distribute the weight for your body.
Similar problems with going to seatbelt webbing that curls under tension and can cause loss of circulation in your body.

IMO there are better ways to tackle cutting down weight and bulk

How much room do you think you'll save by using a narrower piece of webbing for the harness?

Not a lot. If I can reduce a little here and a little there it might make a difference but I have to weigh the advantages against the disadvantages. So far it looks like it's only disadvantages. Wearing it onto the plane and making it a temporary backpack is looking like a better choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom