2nd stage regulator setup.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want my 2nd stage regulator to go under my right armpit and up. how long should the hose be? I assume i'll need a 90 degree swiven on the 1st stage.. what about on my 2nd stage? same 90? or a 45?

About 40"

Most people use a 90 at the 2nd stage.

Don't usually need one on the 1st stage.

i've seen some use a swivel on the 2nd stage or a swivel on the 1st stage. I've also seen one do a swivel on both the 1st and 2nd stage.

is there a disadvantage to this setup? i mean elbow going under the armpit? how about hanging something on the right chest d-ring of a backplate setup? won't interfere with the hose?

I use a 40" long hose on my recreational rig with a 110 elbow at the second stage connection. No need for a swivel at the first stage.

I want my 2nd stage regulator to go under my right armpit and up. how long should the hose be? I assume i'll need a 90 degree swiven on the 1st stage.. what about on my 2nd stage? same 90? or a 45?

I'm not certain what your question is regarding the 2nd swivel. Are you talking about a swivel at your 1st stage or at your alternate reg? I have my primary on a 40" hose with an omniswivel at the 2nd stage. I like the omniswivel over a 90 degree or a 70/110 degree. My alternate is on a 22" hose on a necklace without a swivel. No swivels on the 1st stage. Is this what you wanted to hear?

I'm not certain what your question is regarding the 2nd swivel. Are you talking about a swivel at your 1st stage or at your alternate reg? I have my primary on a 40" hose with an omniswivel at the 2nd stage. I like the omniswivel over a 90 degree or a 70/110 degree. My alternate is on a 22" hose on a necklace without a swivel. No swivels on the 1st stage. Is this what you wanted to hear?

ok sorry i created some confusion. Yes im talking about my primary. i've dived with a buddy. who uses 2 swivels. One on the 1st stage and another one on the 2nd stage.

My concern is... while using your primary in this setup (hose going under the right armpit), will the hose interfere with clipping things on your right chest d-ring?

ok sorry i created some confusion. Yes im talking about my primary. i've dived with a buddy. who uses 2 swivels. One on the 1st stage and another one on the 2nd stage.

My concern is... while using your primary in this setup (hose going under the right armpit), will the hose interfere with clipping things on your right chest d-ring?
I have never found it interferes

Whether you need one on your 1st stage depends on what 1st stage you have. You may need one if you do not have a downward facing port.

The hose does not interfere with lights, spools, and the like. I've never dived a stage cylinder on the right with a 40" hose, only with a 84" hose.

I used to use 110 (or 70 - same thing) degree swivels on my primary 2nd stages. I recently changed them all for 360 degree swivels from Cave Adventurers.

Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

I definitely like the CA swivel better than the fixed angle swivel.

I do not currently have a swivel on my 1st stage, but I am planning to order one from Piranha and add it to my 1st stage.

First Stage LP 360 Swivel

The hose for the primary 2nd stage coming straight out the side of the 1st stage is not really a problem. But, it does tend to make that hose want to float out to my side, instead of staying neatly tucked in against my side. Sometimes, depending on what I'm doing with my right arm, that hose can end up outside my elbow and I have to reach my elbow around and tuck it back in. And that is even with me having a MiFlex hose, which is more bendy. If I had a rubber hose (which I will change to when the current hose needs to be replaced), I think it would have even more tendency to float out to my side.

The downside to adding the swivels is that they add extra O-rings to your regulator setup. That means more potential points of failure. It's a tradeoff and you have to decide for yourself if it's worth it to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom