50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

66 last October.

Spent from age 16 in the Royal Navy, transferred to the Royal Australian Navy at 26. Rate was Clearance Diver. After 10 years + 16 years I took my discharge.

Never dived after retiring from the Navy, UNTIL my eldest son took up the sport last year. What was formerly my job loomed as a pastime.

Got my SSI Certification and will get my Master Diver Certification in July.

Favourite dive location; Byron Bay, New South Wales, Sunshine Coast Queensland and Subic in the Philippines where I have many dive buddies both SSI and PADI.

Favourite dive was a recent dive on one of my old RAN Ships, HMAS Brisbane. She's still in great nick and a very popular dive and at only max 18 metres she is one heck of a sigyht/site.

Conservative number of dives whilst in the RAN was 3 to 4 dives per day, 365 days a year less weekends and 4 weeks annual leave, for 26 years? Do your own math on that one. Currently have 55 logged dives since February '08.

Luv this "NEW LIFE".

Cheers, aye.

Brian1
:14:

Just spotted this thread. I'm 61, do 2-3 dives most days in nice warm water, but occasionally go back to Blighty and get in some cold water dives (which I actually love). Deep wreck dives mostly. I've dived OC and CC trimix for years, but although I've racked up some pretty deep dives here in Belize (about 135m to date) mostly I leave those for northern European waters. I actually don't know how many dives I have as I've lost my logbooks, but I know I passed 2000 several years ago. Probably well over 3000, maybe 4000.

My favourite dive shop is - well, as I run a dive shop I think you know the answer to that! But my favourite part of the world for diving (given that there are large and popular areas that I've never been to) has to be the Maldives. I hope I can disentangle myself from here for long enough to make another trip there.

The one place that I've never been to that I really want to visit - Truk Lagoon.

Live on the Big Island of Hawai’i in between Kailua-Kona and Keauhou high up enough the killer 180 degree ocean view is a 5 minute drive to sea level. Jacks Diving Locker is also 5 minutes drive from home, Big Island Divers is in between work and home. It’s all real convenient for this lowly rubbernecking pretty fish looker to dive mostly here along the coast.

So I thought the "Grumpy Old Divers" Forum needs a motto. This is my humble suggestion:

"Because youth and enthusiasm is no match for age and treachery"

Another slow reader who just spotted the thread. Were in the heck did I put my glasses?

Local dive spot Puget Sound and Vancouver, BC areas. Internationally the past two years: French Polynesia, Marquesas, Galapagos, Southern California, Mexican west coast and Baja, Bahamas, Amalfi.

Currently working on PADI DM certification. Fun taking the timed swimming tests with folks 20-30 years younger.

Cheers,

Dan

Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

+3
London, Ontario, Canada (Ontario Wreck Divers)

Great Lakes (May- September)
Any place but (October-April) ie..Belize, Jamaica, Curacao, Mexico, San Andreas (Colombia), Florida, and counting

LDS - Travel Sports, London, ONT (owned and operated by Doug and Daphne) - won't go anyplace else

Rescue, Nitrox, Cavern, Intro to Cave - still a novice diver

Love: diving, this Board, Scuba Diving Magazine, SWODA - my local dive club, my wife (kids and grandkids) Maybe not in that order (or maybe.....)

Hate: work, money (or lack thereof), and anything else that interferes with diving

So I thought the "Grumpy Old Divers" Forum needs a motto. This is my humble suggestion:

"Because youth and enthusiasm is no match for age and treachery"

or.... IF I HAD KNOW I WAS GONNA LIVE THIS LONG I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF

Quickly bearing down on 52.

Started diving in 1979.

We live in Ruston, LA. That's about five hours north of New Orleans and less than a hour south of El Dorado AR. Pretty much out of the hurricane belt.

Places we have dove:

Cozumel mainly since we own a house there. About 4 trips a year.
Donna spends the summer there.

Playa Del Carmen
Cancun
Cayman Islands
Jamacia
Costa Rica
Louisiana
Florida
Texas
Arkansas

Favorite dive shop?
Bayou Divers, West Monroe and Red River Scuba, Bossier City, LA