7ft Hose and travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...the whole point of Bonaire is complete shore diving freedom...if shore diving there's no DM and nobody could care less about your 'kit'. This holds true for DM led boat dives...I find it almost inconceivable you'll get any flak from any DMs either there.

Karl

Uh... who cares what others think of your configuration?

So, being a noob to scubing...and the fact that no question it a dumb question, what is the purpose of a 7ft hose?

It just a longer hose. Originally the idea came from cave diving circles because divers encountered situations where they may have to share air while swimming in single file and obviously it needed to reach. Some people picked up on the idea and started applying it to other contexts and these days it's a widely accepted configuration.

The basis is that your primary regulator (the one in your mouth) has a long 7ft hose on it. To keep the hose out of the way you wrap it around your body. The "octopus" is then on a short hose and the second stage of the octopus (called the secondary in this case) is hung on your neck with a necklace.

(can someone link a picture, pls)

In the case of an out of air situation, you donate the long hose to the diver who needs it and put the secondary in your mouth.

R..

My profile pic shows it, although it may be too small to see clearly - click on my name at the left to open a larger version

Just to add to the above, you need to let your dive buddy (if you have one, and they're not your regular buddy/familiar with the long hose setup) know that you'll be donating your primary from your mouth in case of an OOA

In reality, true OOA situations tend to lead to people grabbing the working reg from your mouth anyway - the added advantage of the long hose rig being that you can easily swap to your secondary if they do

My profile pic shows it, although it may be too small to see clearly - click on my name at the left to open a larger version

Just to add to the above, you need to let your dive buddy (if you have one, and they're not your regular buddy/familiar with the long hose setup) know that you'll be donating your primary from your mouth in case of an OOA

In reality, true OOA situations tend to lead to people grabbing the working reg from your mouth anyway - the added advantage of the long hose rig being that you can easily swap to your secondary if they do

Thanks for all the posts. I have been diving doubles for a while and have gotten used to that set up. Just was not sure how on travel shops/ dms might react.

I have dove my 7ft hose in both Cozumel and Fiji... there were no questions asked or eyes raised. I have started seeing them more often in different locations.

Yup, saw that and thought nothing of it.

Personally, I only use my 7 ft. hose when I'm in the pool or when I'm "snorkeling" with my daughter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom