A few items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What kind of backplate is so weak that the force of an inflated wing could bend it? How could it be strong enough to support the weight of the tanks? No way could that happen with my Halcyon SS backplate.
I think I could drive a truck over mine

I made the 40# wing for 130's mistake once...It couldn't wrap around the tanks and was starting to bend the plate when inflated. It worked for that dive with very thin undergarments, but when the xm-450's are on with the extra weight, I don't think I would be a safe diver.

Maybe I'm wrong....I'm always willing to learn something new.

uhm, lolwut?

That's a real thing. There was a thread about using a single tank wing with doubles, and sure enough, someone posted a video of the wing bending the plate a little. I thought it was baloney, too.

---------- Post Merged at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:48 PM ----------

I guess since I always ask for evidence of a claim, here are some pics of a backplate bending. More info contained within the thread for the interested reader. I can't find a video, though.

http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?37230-I-m-calling-BS-on-this/page2

That's a real thing. There was a thread about using a single tank wing with doubles, and sure enough, someone posted a video of the wing bending the plate a little. I thought it was baloney, too.

---------- Post Merged at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:48 PM ----------

I guess since I always ask for evidence of a claim, here are some pics of a backplate bending. More info contained within the thread for the interested reader. I can't find a video, though.

The Deco Stop

I apologize for not being a good Scubaboard contributor lately, life has gotten in the way as of late. The wing MAY have been a single 40lb wing. I grabbed the wrong wing on my way out to our local watering hole (quarry fun diving). I noticed it right away when putting the rig together and figured WTF, let's try it. I hooked everything up and hit the inflator, the steel plate started flexing then the OPV kicked in with the wing restricted and unable to inflate any further. After getting the blessing from the rest of the team and knowing I had thin undergarments, we went to test the rig in shallow water. The rig was barely enough to keep my head above water at the beginning of the dive and couldn't get more lift without the OPV dumping gas. At the end of the dive things were much better, but would never do it again. All that to say, I don't think a doubles 40# wing is the way to go with thick undergarments and the extra weight needed (I usually have an 11# V and a 4# tail with the XM-450's).

Again, sorry for the late reply.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom