• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

A Fin Review: SP Jet Fins VS Force Fins VS blade (normal) fins

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by g1138, Jan 28, 2011.

1. TN Traveler

TN Traveler Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Let's see - Force Fins - $786 - will last 25 years (there are many pairs lasting longer than that which is why you can buy them cheap on ebay).

Plastic Fins (Seawing NOVA, Quattros, etc) - $100+ - will last 2 years - so after 20 years you will have spent $1000+. And as far as a scooter - try taking that on an airplane for vacation. :shakehead:

Now, do they really cost too much? :confused::confused:

And nobody says you need to buy the absolute top of the line Force Fins - there are less expensive versions that will probably meet the needs of an average diver.

2. ScubaVideo

ScubaVideo Solo Diver

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I have 20+ year old fins - Mares that work fine. My SP Jet Fins - $85. The only reason I needed new Jet Fins was that I sold my old pair years ago to pay tuition. They last forever at a much cheaper price. The Mares don't fit my DS or I would be happy using them.

Edit: The reason I looked at the top of the line is not because I wanted to spend more $$$, but because those are more like fins I could use for better control.

3. TN Traveler

As I said - wait until the Hockey Fins come out - more control at half the price!!

4. ScubaVideo

ScubaVideo Solo Diver

I'm not against the product, I love innovative products. It's the price that bugs so even $300 for fins seems high.

What about these: ebay $200 reserve at least puts them in the ballpark. But then I use XXL SP Jets because of my DS so those probably won't fit and I would rather not find out the hard way they don't.

5. g1138

g1138 Marine Scientist

Wow, that's a pretty funky looking fin.
    I doubt they'd give me the time of day, I'm not a usual reviewer of things.
    This was simply a way to procrastinate on a school essay :D

This is true, but Jet fins last just as long and cost around $110 new. The base model of Force Fins is around $190.
    Both last for a long time, but they both do things on opposite sides of the spectrum.
    I really doubt there will ever be a great fin that does everything perfectly.

Hatul likes this.
  6. ScubaVideo

ScubaVideo Solo Diver

So you have them already? I can't find any pictures of them on their site.

7. TN Traveler

They are not in production yet, so they are not on the website. They will be going into production shortly.

I have been using a pair for almost a year. Right now there are only 4 pairs in existence. Bob has one that he uses for demos.

There is a picture of them on the following thread - near the end. There are a couple of other pictures on some other threads in the Force Fin Forum but I could not locate them quickly. All I can say is they are amazing - all the power (and more) and control of jets combined with the ease of Force Fins - no cramps. :D

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/force-fin/315171-first-review.html

8. 1_T_Submariner

1_T_Submariner Solo Diver

So like other sports equipment it's good to have more than one type of fin in your gear locker?
    I like different fins for different dives, situations etc...
    Nice reviews.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Orca

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    That sounds almost too good to be true. I'd have to sell off my split fins for cheap and get a pair of those bad boys. Do you know if they will come in neon yellow?

10. oreocookie

oreocookie PADI Pro

Do you mean these? Force Fin Hockey Force