A sad story what are your views?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
I'm not trying to be a feminist here, but ??

The feminist in you would have to agree Snowbear that women have a god given right to change their mind, and that in our enlightened times it should be equally applied to men.

Snowbear:
What's really the difference if she had become pregnant the natural way and had the baby??

The difference is that she IS NOT PREGNANT, so at this point they have equal rights over the descision whether to terminate or not.

Once pregnant, i belive that the weight of this descision swings in the womans favour.

What if the guy is in a relationship with a new woman? how would it affect that relationship if the "Father" was to announce that he was having a child with his ex?

Nobody seems to give a s!?t about the child!
Don't kids deserve 2 loving parents? Are we ever going to stop? Single parents, 50% divorce rates, kids having kids, children starving in 3rd world countries, etc.. Lets try keeping it in our pants and taking care of the ones that really need it.

Jeff

So Cal Divin:
Nobody seems to give a s!?t about the child!
Don't kids deserve 2 loving parents? Are we ever going to stop? Single parents, 50% divorce rates, kids having kids, children starving in 3rd world countries, etc.. Lets try keeping it in our pants and taking care of the ones that really need it.

Jeff

Of course not -- it is all about what this woman wants -- right. She wants to defrost the embryocycles and have some babies. Time to quit playing God and take care of some of the babies who are already here and born that need help.

Kimber

alcina:
snowbear hits upon a salient point in her post.

It might be worth considering that the frozen embryo be considered the same as an in utero embryo...just because they break up and he changes his mind doesn't mean the embryo gets aborted. The same intent was there in either case. Just food for thought...

I disagree - if they felt that way they should have found a serrogate mother and had their babies then and there. They were putting some embryos in the fridge - so they could out things on hold - in case they wanted to have some kids in the future. I am sure there are a good number of embryos - does that mean they have to have that many babies? Should it be considered that all those babies are to be born?

Turn the case around. He decides he wants the babies and she does not - now should she be forced to carry the babies or can he be alowed to take the embryos and use them in a serrogate mother without her input whatsoever? They are as much his are they are hers. Where do you draw the line?

Kimber

Snowbear:
Was he in control when he "donated" the sperm?If he did not want to become a father, why did he "donate" the sperm? What's really the difference if she had become pregnant the natural way and had the baby??
Again, if he did not want to be a father, why did he "donate" the sperm in the first place??Didn't he willingly contribute the sperm, knowing it would be used to fertilize the egg(s) that would potentially become a child?

I'm not trying to be a feminist here, but I think whether it's an embryo in a petre dish, both the male and female "donors" should know there is a potential for their "contributions" to become a viable human?? I realize this is not always the case in the heat of passion, but holy guacamole - if the intention is to create a potentially viable freezable embryo, there is obviously some forethought involved??

At the time, he had a viable relationship.

Now he doesn't.

No means no, baby, anywhere, anytime, any place.

alcina:
snowbear hits upon a salient point in her post.

It might be worth considering that the frozen embryo be considered the same as an in utero embryo...just because they break up and he changes his mind doesn't mean the embryo gets aborted. The same intent was there in either case. Just food for thought...

The intent to store an embryo is not necessarily an intent to hatch it.

lostinspace:
oh, how easy to say adopt when you have your own children.
unless you go through the pain of infertility you will NEVER know the pain of loss.

I don't even want to empathize with it.

You can drag around as much baggage as you want.

She can't have a baby.

Deal with it.

cancun mark:
The feminist in you would have to agree Snowbear that women have a god given right to change their mind, and that in our enlightened times it should be equally applied to men.

The difference is that she IS NOT PREGNANT, so at this point they have equal rights over the descision whether to terminate or not.

Once pregnant, i belive that the weight of this descision swings in the womans favour.

What if the guy is in a relationship with a new woman? how would it affect that relationship if the "Father" was to announce that he was having a child with his ex?

I have to agree with you completely here Mark. She is not pregnant and they should have equal rights with regards on what to do with their embryos. It is nothing but some tissue grown in a petri dish and frozen in the freezer at this point. It is owned equally by the two of them and I can't even call it anything more than the potential to be life.

Maybe at one point he thought he mught have wanted to have babies with the woman someday in the future - but he changed his mind. Luckily he changed it before life has occured while he still had the chance to do so. We all make change our minds sometimes.

Kimber

=TekDiveGirl]Well it is not a viable baby at this point. And actually it is not even alive. It is frozen in a freezer. Embryocycle.

If it is not alive, even if frozen, what makes it come back alive when thawed and implanted? It has to be alive because no Doctor, Scientist can give life to an inanimate object. (monty b)

In my opinion it has no rights at this point. It is not a living being so how can it have any right to live or any rights at all for that matter?

Science is making a lot of issues rather sticky.

Yes they are, I often smile when I hear arguments about when life begins - at birth or conception. Because when you come right down to it life dosent begin, it began. One time. At no time in the procreative process are we dealing with something that isn't alive. The mother is alive, the father is alive, the egg is alive and the sperm is alive and the tiny life is alive. (montyb)

This is a touchy subject to begin with, so I am asking all people participating in this discussion to please be civil.

If it degenerates into an an arguement or flame-fest this thread will either be closed or withdrawn from the public area.

So, play nice!

Back
Top Bottom