After your ow course, were you able to dive without Dm/instr?

After your ow course, was you able to dive without Dm/instr?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think my first 100 dives were with a DM, then even more with an instructor after that. I guess that's what you get when your loved one has a head start on training.

I dove alone after getting certified in Florida...why, because I was young and stupid not knowing any better. As a motorcyclist and young pilot at the time, I was invincible....had I known then what years have taught me, I'd probably do just the same...

I felt I could dive without DM or instructor although I wouldn't go out with another newb right out of ow. I did a lot of dives with experienced divers who had the patience to take out a newb and I really appreciated it. I wouldn't recommend 2 people fresh out of open water plan and execute a dive together but that's just me.

I felt I could dive without DM or instructor although I wouldn't go out with another newb right out of ow. I did a lot of dives with experienced divers who had the patience to take out a newb and I really appreciated it. I wouldn't recommend 2 people fresh out of open water plan and execute a dive together but that's just me.

It depends on location. I was diving the quarry with a buddy certified a few months before I was. We were fine. Ocean, different story.

It depends on location. I was diving the quarry with a buddy certified a few months before I was. We were fine. Ocean, different story.
There's the ocean and there's the ocean. Some ocean sites are suitable only for experienced divers, but there are also quite a few benign sites well suited for n00bs. Say, for example, a site which is suitable for OW (or similar level) classes. I'm pretty certain there's at least one or two such sites by the ocean.

I'm pretty certain there's at least one or two such sites by the ocean.
It's why the Keys are so cool. Lot's of easy diving.

It's why the Keys are so cool. Lot's of easy diving.
It's also why Norway is so cool.

Cooler than the Keys, in fact. Today we had around freezing topside and some 5C below. No wind, flat sea, nice weather. Until we were packing up, then we got a pretty serious flurry of snow. That was a lot cooler than the Keys can ever be.

But except for the temps which may be on the chilly side if you don't have proper gear, even a newly certified OWD would have had a nice, relaxing dive.

Tropical resort dm is perhaps a false sense of security for new divers as they are probably paying attention to like 15 other people. A good buddy is yours alone. But I like the Florida dm’s because they can carry that darn flag leaving me free to frolic ;-)

Tropical resort dm is perhaps a false sense of security for new divers as they are probably paying attention to like 15 other people.
Totally agree. Me, I want a dedicated buddy (or buddies, in case there's a threesome) on any dive. If I'm diving in a location I'm not familiar with, I appreciate a decent guide, but I'll never trust someone who has a bunch of people to look after to be there for me if I need assistance.

Also, a good buddy will give me a hint if something isn't quite right and ought to be fixed before it turns into an issue. I don't believe that a DM responsible for a bunch of folks necessarily would be able to pick up on something like that. Because my buddy has one person to look after (like I'm looking after them), while a DM has like half a dozen people to look after.

Of course there are bad buddies. I've had my share of those, and i wont be diving with them again. But IME the majority is from half-decent to stellar, and even half-decent works with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom