• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

After your ow course, were you able to dive without Dm/instr?

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Germie, Feb 8, 2019.

After your ow course, was you able to dive without Dm/instr?

1. Yes

83.0%
  2. No

3.8%
  3. No, even after aow I still felt better with dm or instructor

5.2%
  4. No, but after aow I was ready to dive on my own as autonomous diver

3.3%
  5. I have never done a dive without supervision, but am certified

4.7%
  1. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    SOBs: Same Ocean Buddies. That's OK if you both are planning that before you splash.

2. Storker

Storker DWWFM practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Agreed SOBs are ok. An SOB without a proper pre-dive chat and agreement on the terms is a crappy, useless buddy. I've had a couple of those. Never gonna dive with them again.

3. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    This poll seems even more inaccurate for the general diving population than my poll on BCs How do you dive, part 2? This is a consequence of doing the poll on SB, not a criticism, just the truth

Esprise Me and Dogbowl like this.
  4. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Agree. Logical that a majority of those whiling away hours on SB are probably pretty dedicated divers who were pretty good right after OW and continued to dive regularly. And we tend to take unwarranted shots at "vacation divers". I plead somewhat guilty. I have nothing against them, would just be uncomfortable diving so infrequently that I'd need a DM as a buddy.

5. bowlofpetunias

bowlofpetunias Giant Squid Staff Member

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I guess I was fortunate that my OW PADI Instructor insisted on taking us to progressively more challenging shore diving sites on our course. He even threw in dives that required us to work out safe Surface Intervals for two options involving road routes with significant changes in altitude returning to Sydney. He also exposed us to some tricky ocean conditions with entry/exit on rock platforms.

I think we gained confidence because he was so insistent we demonstrate skills so he would not have to worry about feeling responsible for one of us getting bent or injured. He made it clear that in his opinion not everyone could or should get certified. We knew it wasn't just lip service as he refused to pass everyone in our class and got considerable flack over it.

I believe that challenges build justifiable confidence. Instructors who make things too easy produce students who either lack confidence or just as dangerous have too much confidence.

I find it amusing how often people online make judgements about other divers based on where they learned to dive, do most of their diving or how often they dive. IMHO being a good diver is more about attitude than location, dive numbers or certification.

While this poll may not be a true representation of the general diving population I suspect it is worthwhile representation of SB divers. I believe SB divers tend to be more dedicated or perhaps "addicted to diving". The information provided also has the capacity to assist visitors to the site. Anything that encourages divers to expand their knowledge is a good thing...

Graeme Fraser, Storker and RayfromTX like this.
  6. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

Considering a large number of fatalities are due to debilitating medical events, and other reasons, say CO poisoning, to paint panic and stupidity as the only causes for anyone dead at the bottom is ignoring facts.

I agree it is stupid not to make a weight check in unfarmiliar conditions and wearing different kit. Her arrogance is no reason to assume she had the ability to drop the belt.

Has this resulted a large decrease in diving fatalities?

I'm not disagreeing with practicing dropping weights, I do it myself, but If the diver is dead or physically incapacited it is unfair to paint dropping the belt as a choice.

I have actually dropped my belt twice, I know that one time it saved my life.

Bob

7. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

From what I understood, she was not an arrogant person. She failed to understand that her weights compensated for her exposure suit. Being wrong is not a clear indication of arrogance.

8. Edward3c

Edward3c Instructor, Scuba

Can’t comment on whether it’s reduced the total number of fatalities, but those surfacing then going back down has reduced.

Bob DBF likes this.
  9. Chavodel8en

Chavodel8en Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I answered "Yes", but if there was an option "After OW, I felt more comfortable diving with more experienced divers" I would have chosen that.

After OW, my first couple of dives were with a dive club organized by the shop I certified with. I don't know that there was an instructor or DM anywhere near me, but I believe I was generally paired up with a more experienced diver.

If necessary, fresh from OW, I probably would have been fine (tho not necessarily a great diver) if I just went diving with your random buddy. And after a few "club" dives, I was "fine" doing so.

* caveat - in benign, relatively familiar conditions. Hell, I didn't have my first drift dive until 13 years, 100+ dives, incl. AOW, and I was glad that there was a DM there to show me the ropes re drift diving.

10. Dizzi Lizzi

Dizzi Lizzi Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I answered yes, but have to admit I was super scared. My dive after certification was on a So Cal boat. Imagine my surprise when I realized the DM was staying on board! But we spoke to her and the captain and told them this was our very first dive ever and they gave us simple directions "go to that rock, swim around it a few times them come back. Then go to that rock, stay on that side of the rock, explore and come back with no less than 500 PSI. We had a blast!!!

markmud likes this.