Airline travel with scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a couple of these: Walmart.com: Contico Storage Locker: Storage & Organization

They have wheels, are relatively easy to move around and weigh very little as opposed to scuba luggage or even regular luggage. They are inconspicous and if you load them properly, you can fit 50 pounds (standard weight for airlines) or 70 pounds if you work at it --which costs a few bucks extra.

Two of them should hold everything you need. Use plastic zip ties to lock the cover shut, and duct tape over the latches if you want a little extra security. Tape a few zip ties inside the cover so TSA can replace the zip ties if they have to open the case.

You can write you name and address/phone number right on the lid with a silver or gold sharpie.

Best of all they are cheap and serve as excellent storage lockers for your gear at home.

I ordered ten of these three or four years ago --use them for all my gear, scuba, climbing and photography.

If you have questions, feel free to send me a private message.

Jeff

I knew you would say that :)

Even so - I bet a lot the employees are from Kansas :)

Sabbath999, I would ignore NudeDiver. Never trust anyone who types his smiley faces upside down. :^)

Sabbath999, I would ignore NudeDiver. Never trust anyone who types his smiley faces upside down. :^)
Just because you look at them incorrectly doesn't mean they are upside down.....:)

I carry my regulator and computer in my carry on. The rest of of my scuba gear goes in a regular, light weight piece of luggage to not bring attention to its contents.

Thank everyone for all your replies, I have taken all ideas into consideration and here is what I came up with...

Two of these:
luggage.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=MKR1022&refid=FR52-MKR1022]Marker 7836-rust - Adventure 34" Double Decker Wheeling Duffel in Rust/Black

Got them at Sports Chalet for $79 each. They have a top and bottom compartment that seperates. Each can fit a set of gear in the bottom (plus some) and the top can fit all clothes needed for 1-2 weeks. Loaded they each come in right under 50 lbs if you comprimise just a little.

Carry on a double regulator bag with regs, comps and laptop (any suggestions on a quality double reg bag would be helpful)

I am hearing more and more about using UPS on equipment to send ahead of you.Any thoughts on that avenue?

I am hearing more and more about using UPS on equipment to send ahead of you.Any thoughts on that avenue?
I think it would be a metric ****load of expensive.

I just checked at UPS.com. A 50 pound package, 30"x20"x10", $2000 valuation, from home to Cozumel is about $290, one way. Ship on 16th, arrive on 27th.

I can pay an awful lot of extra bag and over weight fees for that kind of cash.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 42
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom